Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miraclady Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2009, 06:18 AM
    Can elderly use all of 401k to buy house
    I want to move to a different area but have been unable to sell the home I have now. I am 75. Can I use the money in my 404K to buy a new house while I continue to try to sell the one I am in now?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 11, 2009, 03:44 PM

Do you owe anything on your current home.
    Next why is it not selling, how long has it been on the market

And will you have enough money to live on if you never sell the other house ?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 12, 2009, 10:26 AM

Yes - you can withdraw as much of your 401(k) as you'd like, to do whatever you'd like. But be aware that you will owe ordinary income tax (both federal and state/local, if applicable where you live) on whatever amount you withdraw.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abusive Daughter will not leave Elderly mother's house [ 3 Answers ]

Ok... long story short... my drug addict aunt refuses to leave my Grandmother house. This is an on going sage for the past 30 years. Four years ago my aunt was living in Ohio. He daughter was murdered and she moved back to Pennsylvania and stayed with my Grandmother. She stole everything that...

Cash in 401K to buy a house? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm considering buying a house this year to take advantage of low mortgage rates and the first-time buyers' $8000 credit. If I can put together a decent down-payment I can get a great interest rate. Making the end-of-year deadline might require cashing in my 401K. I have a small sum in my 401K,...

How to get abusive druggie brother out of elderly mom's house [ 4 Answers ]

I am 38yr. Old female and I currently am a caregiver for my 81 year old mother. I came from California to live at her house in Pa. to take care of her after my father died. Since then my younger brother who is 37 came to her and asked to come live back home. Everyone in my family has had problems...

View more questions Search