Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    worriedmom82 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2008, 12:20 PM
    Relocating after a divorce
    My fiancé and I have a long distance relationship. He has 2 kids 12 and 5. They live with their mom and she is remarried. He is wanting to move here with me, but our resevation is that is will have a negative affect on the kids. He wants to be a part of their life and so do I. We want what is best for them. Moving is a bid decision and is practically a make or break our relationship situation for us. I have a 2 year old and all of my family lives near me. He on the otherhand has no family other than the kids where he lives. Due to his job he does travel lots and is not home that much. We are at a loss as to what to do about it. Our relationship is strong but we have to decide if moving is something that his kids can deal with. We of course would do everything we could to see the kids when we could. I want to support him in any decision that he does make. Please help
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 4, 2008, 01:42 PM

This will take an awful lot of thought, before any action are taken as blending a family, is not something to just do, and hope for the best, as there are to many situations you will be in, depending on visitation, his work schedule, how you get along with his kids, the list of things to work thru is almost endless.

Start writing these things down, and keep adding to the list, as what your doing will take more than a strong relationship, but understanding and co operation from all involved.

Do you even know how his kids will feel about being with you, and your child, when dad is at work? How you would feel??

No hurry, just do your homework on this first.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 4, 2008, 03:05 PM

So would you want to leave your child with your mom and move off.

You should not ask him to move away from his children, but again this issue should have been though about when you first started dating.

He will learn to resent not seeing his child on a regular basis.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorce and relocating [ 1 Answers ]

Firstly I'm going through a divorce - real bad We have both been living in the same house yet living separate lives for the past 2 years. I have a guy friend who really makes me feel special and has told me that I don't need a man that will beat me up and make me pay all the bills. Yes I like him...

Relocating child before divorce [ 6 Answers ]

My friend who is from Singapore has been married to an american for 10 yrs and lived in the USA. They have been having problems and she has taken their child to Singapore and is refusing to return. They have been there for 4 months, against the wishes of her husband who is threatening to cut off...

Relocating my children after a divorce to best benefit them [ 5 Answers ]

I have been divorced now for just over a year. I have full custody of my daughters and my ex only has visitation rights, which he does not use. He also does not pay any of the child support that the court granted me, which was very little to begin with. I moved from Indiana to New Jersey several...

Relocating from NY to KY [ 13 Answers ]

Ok so I am divorced from my son's farther, I have sole custody and he has visitation every other weekend. I am currently married to a United Sates Soldier who is located in Kentucky. My husband is 33 and I am 25, so no we are not young. I do medical billing for a hospital, I make OK money but...

View more questions Search