Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmtayl0r Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2008, 11:54 AM
    It was in my divorce to change my name, do I have to?
    In my divorce it was requested to change my name back to my maiden name, it's been 6 months and the only thing I have changed has been my email at work, my drivers license, social security card, passport and every other piece of identification still show my married name, I changed my mind about going through the hassel of changing my name back, since it was in my divorce decree, what happens if I don't change everything now?
    wolfeye90 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2008, 11:57 AM
    It depends, was it you who wanted to have it changed, or you ex? If it was agreed upon it is unlawful not to abide by it.

Oct 18, 2008, 12:00 PM
    I filed for the divorce and at the time requested the name change, and he agreed to all the paperwork , but we have since talked about the subject and he doesn't care one way or another.
    wolfeye90 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2008, 12:05 PM
    Then you should be fine.

Oct 18, 2008, 12:07 PM
    Thank you very much!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 18, 2008, 02:45 PM

Yes, if part of the divorce was his requiring it, then you would have to, but with this, you are allowed to be do not have to
    Inlthouse Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2008, 01:25 PM
    Have to say I've heard this one. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. I don't know how long you were married, but my husband of 25 years wanted me to take maiden name back. I told him that I would take my maiden name back as long as my child's name was also changed to my maiden name. It is just a power play in my opinion. Do you have kids?
    Don't be bullied. If you don't want to change it back consult your attorney. I don't think they can force you to.

Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Uncontested divorce before name change? [ 16 Answers ]

Hello. My husband left when my daughter was a month old. He ended up not being the father of our child after she was born. (her paternal father is unknown of his whereabouts.) we remained to stay together even though we did not live together because we were in the process of getting his green...

Property Title Change after Divorce [ 5 Answers ]

I currently live in Texas and have been divorced for the past 3 years. I was awarded the house we purchased together and it is stated to be my sole property in our divorce decree. I also changed my last name back to my maiden name.How can I go about getting my name changed on the title and other...

Minor Name Change/Birth Certificate Change [ 2 Answers ]

15 year old minor, born in Marion County, Indianapolis, IN, living in WI with his dad, mom in FL--with joint custody, would like to change his name to his dad's and has both parents consent. Does this have to be filed in IN? Are there forms that the parents can fill out and file without the...

Can I change divorce venues? [ 1 Answers ]

I have filed for divorce in Mississippi on the grounds of habitual cruel and inhumane treatment as a result of domestic violence. I have moved to another state by permission of the court and I want to change venues as I have now resided in my new state for over 6 months. Can I do this?

I got a Divorce. Did my name change back? [ 3 Answers ]

A very close friend of mine was recently divorced and she doesn't know if her last name has returned to her maiden name. Is there anyway to find this information out? Thank you, Beau

View more questions Search