Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 22, 2008, 09:49 AM
    Junction boxes
    Greetings all,

Is there any provision in the NEC that bans the use of junction boxes from use on the first floor of a residence? I've read through Article 314 and can't find any such limitation. Is there any exclusion that you know of?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 22, 2008, 01:43 PM
    Don, I'm not certain what you are asking.

If it is as simple as it seems, then no, there is no such restriction.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 23, 2008, 07:45 AM
    Stan,

Yes it's that simple. I was taking a short test on the 2008 code and this was the question asked. I answered no, but then doubt snuck in the back door.
    contractor Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2008, 07:53 AM
    The junction box must be readily accessible, so you must be able to get to it without removing the build structure. NEC 314.29. Also the box must be the correct size for the amount of conductors that enter the box, measured in cubic inches they are printed or stamped on the box. The trick is the conductor calculation.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 23, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by contractor
    The junction box must be readily accessible, so you must be able to get to it without removing the build structure.
    The box must be "accessible". NOT "readily accessible".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Another Junction Box ? [ 9 Answers ]

Again, thanks to everyone for all their valuable information as I wire up my Recording Studio addition. :) You guys are great! ;) I have another question reference the use of Junction boxes. On a couple of my framed walls, where I wired in outlets, some of the outlets (for like Exit Signs) are...

Junction Boxes [ 2 Answers ]

Can I connect a "constant" power source to a "switch controlled" power source in the same junction box? I am putting power to the deck at the rear of my house. One line ( "switch controlled " ) is for the lights, and the " constant power ", is for a GFI, as I don't want to have the GFI tied...

Electric junction box [ 1 Answers ]

How do you wire a 220 volt line through a junction box into a 220 volt plug in for a stove? Please provode me with a schematic of the wiring procedure. Thanks

15A off a 20A junction [ 2 Answers ]

Is it OK to take a single 15A line off a 20A branch circuit. Specifically, I have a new 20A kitchen wall circuit which will exist only of two 20A counter GFCI outlets. I have had to rework that wall for the gas stove and want to run a 15A outlet for the gas stove electrics. Can I just take a 15A...

Junction boxes in attic: can be facing up? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there. Can junctions boxes in an attic be facing up? Or do they need to be secured on their side, secured to a ledger board or something. Thanks! Also, is there an online source for the NEC? Thanks again.

View more questions Search