Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Feb 2, 2008, 05:57 PM
    MDF for built in book case
    I am about to construct a built in book case in a new addition to my house. I have never used MDF before, and would like to know if there are any pitfalls using this stuff for shelves etc.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 09:06 PM
    The biggest pitfall is the stuff will bow over time. It's great for several applications but shelving isn't one of them.

Feb 4, 2008, 12:36 AM
    Thanks I appreciate the comment
    jack dandy Posts: 226, Reputation: 9

Feb 4, 2008, 07:49 AM
    I did a built in, in my sons bedroom and used Oak a little more expensive but looks great and will not bow as talked of by ballenger, another advantage of oak it should last a lifetime. Good Luck!
    GLEIGHVAH Posts: 29, Reputation: 4

Feb 4, 2008, 11:22 AM
    You Can Can Give Mdf Rigidity By Running A 1x2 Oak Pine Or Poplar Across The Face Of The Shelf

Feb 5, 2008, 05:57 PM
    I have some 1/2" square tubing and could dado a grove in the bottom of the shelf and glass the tube in place where it wouldn't show. What do you guys think about that?

Feb 5, 2008, 06:05 PM
    Not so much. How thick is the MDF and how long will your shelf be? Take a piece of that tubing and put it between two saw horses and then put a 40 lbs weight in the center, that deflection is what your shelf can still do.

Feb 6, 2008, 05:48 PM
    MDF is 3/4 and the span is 30 inches. Thanks for the advice, I'll try the saw-horse test before I commit the time and effort of actually building a shelf.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Feb 6, 2008, 07:28 PM
    just spaning 30" id use a clear pine or poplar 1x2, make sure you glue and nail it with 1 1/4 brads

you can always double up the mdf and make it 1 1/2 thick, this will also help.
    as for building cabnits in general we use 3/4 birch or oak and mdf for raised panel doors, but that's when its painted, when staining mdf just want work,

I can see why you'd want to use mdf anyway its almost 1/2 the cost of the other 4x8 sheets.

Feb 7, 2008, 04:43 PM
    Thanks Glavine, I like your suggestion. The last time I built cabinets I used Red Oak but when I priced it this time it's priced out of my market. 3/4 MDF is $21.40 a sheet here so if I can make it work it will be great. Unfortunately Pine is over priced and the quality of the wood is terrible.

Feb 7, 2008, 06:33 PM
    Both Glavine and Gleighvah are using good approaches. Clear pine isn't too bad if you rip it yourself. I have bought pre-cut 1x2 oak strips at Menards lumber for under $1 per foot. Pricey but you may only need 3 or 4 pieces and they look good.
    GLEIGHVAH Posts: 29, Reputation: 4

Feb 10, 2008, 01:47 PM
    just use mdf for the skeleton and face frame it with poplar 1x2[/B]
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Feb 10, 2008, 05:12 PM
    Its important to use a solid wood for the frame so you can mount doors and drawer hardware, mdf doesn't hold screws well

Feb 11, 2008, 10:45 AM
    I want to thank everyone that responded to my question, I received many good suggestions and now I'm ready to proceed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is a good thesis statement with any book and another book or movie [ 2 Answers ]

Well do u have a good thesis stament for sny book and movie

Installing built-in Microwave over built-in walloven [ 5 Answers ]

We purchased a Jenn Air built-in microwave and want to install it right above the built-in Jenn Air wall oven (so it looks like one unit, or close to that) How much space is recommended between the 2 pcs? The installation instructions are pathetic and do not say. We tired calling them and of...

Weekly reader book order book from the 80's [ 5 Answers ]

OK, I am so frustrated! I had this book when I was in the 5th grade in the 80's, I'd say it was around 1985 or 1986. Anyway, I loved this book and I lost it when I was a kid and I would give ANYTHING to find it again! I got the book from the Weekly Reader book order in school. There was a girl...

Just built PC, Monitor says no! [ 3 Answers ]

I have just Upgraded (pretty heavily) my PC. It is now.. ECS PF88 Extreme Hybrid Motherboard Pentium 4 3.0Ghz with HT Processor Nvidia 6600LE Graphics card. 512mb DDR2 Ram 40GB HD When I first built it a few days ago and switched it on it said No Signal on the monitor. Then after a while...

Bittorrent MDF file? [ 8 Answers ]

I downloaded this program using a bit torrent. It was called... something-alcoholclone... When I extract using WinRar into my folder, it was a MDF file and I couldn't activate it at all... Any help on how I am going to run this? Thanks :confused:

View more questions Search