Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Floidman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Cashing out a 401K
    I know the ramifications of cashing out a 401K early, can be costly. However, I don't know what other options I have at this point. Here is my scenario, please feel free to offer any helpful advice.

I just recently quit my job, and have roughly $27,000 in my 401K (after a loan is subtracted). My wife and I have a lot of debt (credit card, loans, etc). We will be relocating for my new job, and will need to sell our house. Stupidly, a little over a year ago, we took out a second mortgage, and now are upside-down on our mortgage... to the tune of about $25,000 - $30,000 (depending on what our house will sell for). In my new job, I will be bringing home an additional $2,000 per month. I will be renting an apartment until our house sells, to the tune of about $500 per month. So, it seems to me at first glance, that I need to cash out the 401K and pay off the remainder of my mortgage, and use the extra $2,000 a month to slowly pull ourselves out of debt and reinvest this money. Thoughts.. I would be happy to provide any more information if needed.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 10, 2007, 11:54 AM
    Roll over your 401K into your new job's plan and then take a loan against it to pay off the debts. Do whatever you can to borrow money short term to pay back the loan or tide yourself over till you can get the 401K loan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cashing out 401k [ 5 Answers ]

I have recently quit working and am considering cashing in my 401k. Approx how much will I loose compared to rolling it over into a ira and then cashing that in?

Cashing in 401k for other investment [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 34 and am considering cashing in my 401K from a previous employer. My wife and I are self employed and in addition to considering putting this money into growing our business we have also been presented with an opportunity to invest in a local business that has plans to expand in the next...

Cashing in 401k [ 3 Answers ]

I have major amounts of debt. I am currently looking towards relocation. My question is.. If I cash out my 401k what is the penalty? Do I pay taxes on it upfront or at the end of the year? I declared bankrupcty once and unable to do it again. Lately this seems like me only other option. Any info...

Cashing out 401k [ 1 Answers ]

I am moving to Australia from the US next year and wish to cash out my 401k. What penalties would I pay. I am not retirement age.

Cashing out 401K [ 1 Answers ]

I am 49 yrs old with a 401k sitting in a previous employers plan (about $70k) and thinking about cashing out to eliminate the debt that I have ($30K from consolidation). I don't see any other way to get out from under it. I know the consequences of doing it; penalty, taxes, lost future income....

View more questions Search