Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    juslisted Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 10:47 AM
    What to do with tax return funds?
    I expect to receive approx 20k tax refund of which 5k will pay off credit cards. The remainder I'm not sure to go to my money market acct. with my stock broker or payoff my 14k equity line. My money market acct. is probably generating 9% interest and my eq.line is 8%. Credit cards balances I currently have are $6500 (just transferred to zero % till march 2008)and two other credit cards of $1800 and $1600. Interest on both is minimal short term. What would you do with that money?:confused:
    gazelleintense Posts: 175, Reputation: 13

May 3, 2007, 05:39 PM
    First thing I'd do is adjust my withholdings so you don't lend the govt your money all year for free. Check this out for help

PaycheckCity.com - Form W-4 Assistant
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2007, 07:27 PM
    Pay off your 14,000 in equity at 8%. Your 9% return can easily drop below that.

Then, pay off you highest credit cards (so 1800 and 1600). Then put the rest in a savings account and when it comes time in March 2008, pay off that 0% interest card since you don't want to pay interest on it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IL Tax Return [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question that do I need to attach a copy of Federal Tax Return with my State tax return of Illinois? I am doing paper filing. Thanks in advance.

TAX Return [ 1 Answers ]

I arrived to US on Nov 2005. I started my work from 16th Nov 2005. Because I had not received my SSN company was giving my salary as advance, later on on FEB 2006 I received my SSN. I did not file any returns for 2005. But for this year instead of paying tax for amount X I have to pay for X+A(A=...

Tax return [ 1 Answers ]

My Question Is About My IRS Refund I Owe Money To The Child Support Agency For My Ex-wife Now Me And My Current Wife Are Filing A Joint Return And Are Claiming Her 3 Children On The Return What Do I Do So The Child Support Agency Does Not Get Any Money From Are Return Thank You ...

Tax Return [ 1 Answers ]

We Are Married But Living In Different States, How Our Tax Return Will Be Affected?

Tax on Funds Gifted [ 9 Answers ]

If funds are are gifted to you from someone abroad - out of the US, is there a threshold in which I do not have to report it for tax purposes? Any insight would be helpful.

View more questions Search