Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timtokos Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2010, 07:00 PM
    GFCI breaker tripping
    I installed a hot tub and when I connect the white wire from the gfci breaker to the neutral/ground bar it trips, otherwise the tub runs fine
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2010, 07:02 PM

Do you have a white/neutral from spa to the neutral terminal on breaker, as well as the coiled pigtail to the neutral bar?

Nov 14, 2010, 07:19 PM
    Yes
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2010, 07:22 PM

At the spa, can you unplug the loads separately? Blower, heater, lights, It may be doing its job and you have a ground fault.

Nov 14, 2010, 07:24 PM
    Comment on Stratmando's post
    I will try that, thank you!

Nov 14, 2010, 07:25 PM
    Comment on Stratmando's post
    I will try but the tub was working fine at its previous location.
    DeepThinkerTwo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2010, 08:59 PM
    Both the black and white wires from the hot tub need to connect to separate terminals on the breaker. The only connection to the panel neutral bar is the coiled white whire from the breaker.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 15, 2010, 09:06 AM

Neutral and ground cannot be connected to the same buss.

If you need a 120/240V for the hot tub, then you should have a four wire feed to the receptacle.

Neutral and Ground can only be tied together at the main service panel or a main disconnect switch.
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2010, 10:56 AM

Donf is correct in that ground and neutral need to be on their own bars. Still it would not cause it to trip, remove load from breaker and verify it does not trip, it shouldn't, if it does, it is a bad GFI breaker. Did you disconnect loads at the spa to determine if it is the Blower, the pump, the heater, really need to know or do.

Nov 16, 2010, 01:53 PM
    Comment on donf's post
    It calls for a 3 wire 240v, so what is the proper connection?
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2010, 02:03 PM

GFI Neutral(coiled white), connects to the neutral bar, Nothing will connect to the neutral terminal on the breaker.
    Does it trip with the load wires disconnected?
    In my first response, you mentioned you had a neutral from the SPA?
    2 hots and a ground is 3 wire, 2 hots, a ground, and neutral is 4 wire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFCI Breaker Tripping on Coast Spa [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am having a problem with my Coast Platinum Series Spa bought in 2001. The GFIC breaker is tripping. Spa information: Coast Platinum Series Model – ML40 Serial number – 004629 Control Pack/Circuit Board - TSPA-1-P122-P222-B1-01-CP1-H34.5-JJM-FL-RL-CC23453-01C Two Monster Flow 7.0...

New GFCI Keeps tripping [ 9 Answers ]

I have just installed a new Siemens single pole 20A GCFC to wire my basement workshop. The receptacles are wired correctly and checked with a special tester. I run my bench grinder and it does not trip.. I plug in my radio (it's OFF) and the GCFI trips, I hook up a light and it trips... I hook...

Generator wiring: new generator gfci breaker tripping [ 2 Answers ]

Generator wiring: I have a new honda generator. I ran 3 wires from the garage to the transfer switch in the house. When I start up and throw in the breaker on the generator, its GFCI trips immediately. It is a long run (125ft) run to the house and I used heavy wires. But I only ran 3 (blk,...

Gfci breaker + outlet in same circuit.breaker tripping [ 4 Answers ]

I have a gfci breaker for a bathroom and there is an additional gfci outlet in the bathroom on the same circuit. The breaker was tripping intermittently over the past week and now will not re-engage. Should I suspect a faulty breaker or is it better to troubleshoot the circuit first? The...

View more questions Search