Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slickster21385 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2011, 02:35 PM
    I was asked to leave and was a half a month ahead on rent am I entitled to that money
    I was asked to leave my current apartment and wasn't given any reason why. We paid lasts months rent when we moved in and I am currently a half months ahead. Am I entitled to that half months money back since I paid for last in the beginnning? And if I am how long do they have to give it back?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 14, 2011, 02:40 PM

Well first they can't just "ask you to leave"

They can give you a notice in writing to move based on a reason if you have a lease that is in violation of the lease Or if you are renting month to month, they can give you notice to move in 30 days

The exception would be failure to pay your rent.

I am puzzled, since youu say you are ? 1/2 month ahead, not a month, the only way you can be 1/2 a month is if you did not pay this months rent on the 1st.

So did you fail to pay your rent on the 1st and late with this months payment ?
    slickster21385 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2011, 02:44 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    No we paid back in the middle of feb for half of march, we were not behind. Trust me we are puzzled too. It's a tenant at will!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 14, 2011, 03:34 PM

Do you have a signed lease? Where do you live?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 14, 2011, 03:34 PM
    You are in a standoff as far as trusting them to refund, so I would just politely refuse to move until your prepaid rents are finished and you have a new place. If they really want you out sooner, and you have a place to go, I'd tell them they should give you half back now and show up on moving day and hand you the rest in cash, you sign a receipt for it, and leave. Otherwise they have to give 30 days notice.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 14, 2011, 03:58 PM

Well they CAN ask you to leave, but you are under no obligation to do so. They have to give you sufficient notice to vacate. That notice depends on the nature of your rental and local laws. ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

Please use the Answer options (not Comments) to provide follow-up info or ask a follow-up question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paid rent but got evicted halfway through month. Do I get half a months rent back? [ 4 Answers ]

I am getting evicted for noise complaints. I Paid rent on the first of the month, And received the notice on the sencond. I have to be out on the 16th (halfway through the month). I was wondering if I get a half months rent back?

Who gets rent money during the month of foreclosure? [ 3 Answers ]

If I pay my landlord rent in advance on the first of the month and the landlord's home is foreclosed on in that same month, do I have the right to get that money back or does my landlord have the right to keep it? For example, I paid July's rent of $1,500 on July 1st and the home was...

Upstate NY Month to Month lease termination- Prorated rent after 1st of next month? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, As a month to month renter in Rochester, NY (outside the city) with no lease, I gave notice on June 3 that I would be moving out on July 1. My landlord proceeded to tell me that I would be responsible for the ENTIRE month of July's rent, even though my 30 day notice would take me to the...

View more questions Search