Been living together 25 years am I entitled to part of his 401k
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 4, 2010, 05:13 PM

What state is this happening in?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 4, 2010, 06:35 PM

Most 401K will have a beneficiary listed who gets it. Who did he list on his.
    If there is no one listed, it goes to his estate, and then his will will decide who gets it

Merely living together gives you no rights to his estate, he will have needed to live you it either by makingyou the beneficiary of it, or though his will
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 4, 2010, 07:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    most 401K will have a beneficiary listed who gets it. Who did he list on his.
    If there is no one listed, it goes to his estate, and then his will will decide who gets it

Merely living together gives you no rights to his estate, he will have needed to live you it either by makingyou the beneficiary of it, or though his will
    The only time it may make a difference is that in some places common law marriage still exists. That's why I asked the state.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 4, 2010, 07:27 PM

Yes, a few do still may. The biggest issue is who is listed as beneficiary, since all should have someone listed
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 5, 2010, 02:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    yes, a few do still may. the biggest issue is who is listed as beneficiary, since all should have someone listed
    The problem is we don't know if this is question is because of someone's passing ir if its because of separation. If from separation then the beneficiary doesn't matter. If from passing it matters absolutely.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My name is not on the deed or mortgage am I entitled to half because we`re married [ 3 Answers ]

I want a divorce but the mortgage and deeds are only in my husbands name. We have two daughters. I want to know what I`m entitled to I need to provide for my children but I don`t want to live in that house he would refuse to leave anyway it has never really been my "home"!

401K disbursment at 59 1/2 years old [ 1 Answers ]

How much can you begin to withdraw from a 401K retirement profitsharing plan from work, at 59 1/2 years. Can you with draw all the funds. Can you only withdraw a certain percentage. Is there a penalty?

Is a Contract for Deed Borrower Entitled to Years of Equity [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my name is jan. I am writing to receive an answer to the following questions I purchased a house in 2001 under a contract for deed from a private seller. Because I had never thought about purchasing a home and the house the seller was considering selling the house, therefore he offered me...

Am I entitled to part of his 401K [ 2 Answers ]

I am going through a divorce and my husband has a 401K and I do not. Am I entitled to part of the 401K that he has even though we only been married for 7 years?

View more questions Search