Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aaron6247 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 10:14 PM
    What if I paid over half of the children's income
    Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Usually who can claim the kids as dependents is an issue worked out in the divorce agreement. Its common to alternate years. If its not spelled out in the divorce, then the parent that provides more than 50% of support can claim the deduction.

I have a similar situation but I've been told I can't claim anything

Here's the deal

My welfare junkie ex-wife claimed my two children this year as head of house and only worked for 2 months last year earning only like 2000 dollars while I paid over 7500 in support payments, we are not leagaly separated or divorced, and only the support order exists...

Questions is?

Is there a way I can fight this if she's already filed, got her return back but clearly didn't provide over half of the children's support obligation?

It just seems criminal if she gets away with this.
    ATYOURSERVICE Posts: 246, Reputation: 13

Mar 16, 2007, 10:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron6247
    Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Usually who can claim the kids as dependents is an issue worked out in the divorce agreement. Its common to alternate years. If its not spelled out in the divorce, then the parent that provides more than 50% of support can claim the deduction.

i have a similar situation but ive been told i can't claim anything

heres the deal

my welfare junkie ex-wife claimed my two children this year as head of house and only worked for 2 months last year earning only like 2000 dollars while i paid over 7500 in support payments, we are not leagaly seperated or divorced, and only the support order exists....

questions is?

is there a way i can fight this if shes already filed, got her return back but clearly didnt provide over half of the childrens support obligation?

it just seems criminal if she gets away with this.
    Nope. It's not what you paid in child support, it's the time the kids lived with the parent. If they lived more then 50% of the time with her, she claims them. You are out of luck buddy. Just be the good dad and pay what the court ordered. What you can do is petition the court for dual custody and equal time of living with them. Then you can claim them first on the tax year, but you better have proof. Good luck.. hey time goes by fast. The kids will be 18 sooner than you think and all of it will be gone!

Mar 16, 2007, 10:37 PM
    One more thing.. if she is a "junkie" as in drugs.. and you can prove it, call children services and petition the court for full custody and you don't have to pay child support, but get ready to take on the kids till 18.
    Aaron6247 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ATYOURSERVICE
    one more thing.. if she is a "junkie" as in drugs.. and you can prove it, call children services and petition the court for full custody and you don't have to pay child support, but get ready to take on the kids till 18.
    Thank you, that's unfortunate, but what can you do.:cool:

Mar 19, 2007, 10:03 AM
    In an amicable divorce you could make an agreement whereby you file for the kids and then give her let's say "1/2" of taxes, but if you have communication problems or tension there, watch out because she could call the IRS and you will be investigated for fraud.

My father actually did this for some years with my mother. She recvd more with his 1/2 of the taxes as he made more money. In my day there was no "dead beat dad laws", so he paid $400.00 for 3 kids. He made $52,000 in the early 80's. How do you like that. And Of course would not pay every month and no one said anything.

Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2006 taxes: F-1 OPT Income & Foreign Income [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a somewhat complicated question about my 2006 taxes... I came to the US in 2001 on a student visa (F1). After I finished my degree I worked one year under OPT, and I left when my OPT/visa expired in May 2006 and went home to my native country and got a job there. So basically I...

Income Taxes Paid [ 1 Answers ]

If an individual owns and operates several corporations and that income flows over into his personal financials, does the proerty taxes for his personal residence appear on his own Proft & Loss statement?

Foreign Income in two diff countries . But paid tax already in those countries [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am resident alien for Tax Yr 2006. I earned some income in Singapore (3 months) and In India (3 month) in Yr 2006. I guess, I can claim foreign tax credit for India as I am citizen of India and I pass 12 months test. But In Singapore I was on for 5 consecutive months and out of that only...

Income Tax on Social Security & Interest Income [ 1 Answers ]

I collect SS, withdraw interest income monthly and sell real estate. I am wondering since my interest income & real estate commissions exceed the SS allowable income cap of $12,000 will my SS for the next year be reduced? Will my real estate expenses be deductible from taxes owed on my...

My Half Dachshund Half Chihuahua has potty problem! [ 3 Answers ]

Hello my My Half Dachshund Half Chihuahua is a great dog but when it comes to the potty he is not good. He is let outside every hour but sometimes he pees in the house. I stay with him outside for 30 minutes and let him inside. I have no solution what should I do? :confused:

View more questions Search