Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    A.Davis Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Aug 4, 2011, 11:27 AM
    My inheritance
    Hi I am separted now for just a little over a year now and would like to now file and get my divorce over with. I did inherit a family property when my family passed away. The property is split 1/3 between my step mother myself and my sister. I am wondering if this is protected under any family laws in Canada. I am worried he is going to try and take this from me or try and take half the proceeds of what it is worth even though I am not willing to sell it at all. If he did try and take half of my share would he get it? If so how do I pay for it without getting a loan because I have bad credit? Am I worried over nothing?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 4, 2011, 11:33 AM

Assets that you inherit while married remain with you through the divorce (assuming that the property is titled separately). Of course everything is negotiable, but in general your ex has no claim to the property in question.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2011, 11:52 AM

I would follow your own advice, the three magical words - ASK AN ATTORNEY.

In general the "inheritance" (if it is that) belongs to you BUT once it's co-mingled you could have a problem and it will be a bargaining chip in the divorce.

Are you legally separated or "simply" living apart/separately?
    A.Davis Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Aug 4, 2011, 12:04 PM
    Living apart nothing is legal yet. The title is in my name alone.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2011, 12:45 PM

Your own advice is the best advice - CONTACT AN ATTORNEY.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inheritance (Inheritance ( how father share money in his life b/w their children) [ 0 Answers ]

My father is alive but his memory really weak, so us siblings have decided to gave our older sister the power of attorney, now we would like to sale the house and distribute the money. We are 3 brothers and five sisters our mother has passed away as well as our older brother, But we were wondering...

Inheritance [ 1 Answers ]

Assalam aleikum Sir my question is that what if a person legally distributes all his wealth and estates before his death. Are there any restrictions in that regard.

California inheritance law are children of incest entitled to inheritance ? [ 8 Answers ]

A man impregnates his daughter then unsuccessfully tries to kill his wife before committing suicide. The daughter has a child,and the wifecontinues the relationship which set off the event,and lives in the original house with the new husband.Other property owned by the deceased is presumably placed...

Inheritance [ 4 Answers ]

Are all inheritances public records?

Inheritance [ 1 Answers ]

Just out of curiosity, Earlier this year my sister and I were informed that we were both to split 1/8th of a $310,000 (estimated) inheritance due to the death of a great uncle. I spoke with the attorney’s secretary who is handling this case, and she informed me that as long as no one has any...

View more questions Search