Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    addygirl123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2007, 01:43 PM
    Relocating child before divorce
    My friend who is from Singapore has been married to an american for 10 yrs and lived in the USA. They have been having problems and she has taken their child to Singapore and is refusing to return. They have been there for 4 months, against the wishes of her husband who is threatening to cut off funds and is upset about the child not being in school etc. They were married in Singapore and she plans to file for divorce over there. She is a green card holder, the child is a US citizen and does not have dual. Does she have any legal right to do this? Can't she be charged with kidnapping? What could be the repercussions of this? She claims that her lawyer in Singapore said the child cannot be extradited because of the Hague convention... is that true?
    Thanks for any feedback.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 4, 2007, 01:48 PM
    Its possible the Hague convention deals with this. It does deal with jurisdictional disputes between nations. Its not kidnapping for a mother to run away with her child. But I believe the father could file for divorce and, in abstentia, have a US court order award him custody. This would mean if she ever returned to the states she could be in trouble. But wehther he can force her to return, you need a very knowledgeable atty for that.

Dec 4, 2007, 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by addygirl123
    My friend who is from Singapore has been married to an american for 10 yrs and lived in the USA. They have been having problems and she has taken their child to Singapore and is refusing to return. They have been there for 4 months, against the wishes of her husband who is threatening to cut off funds and is upset about the child not being in school etc. They were married in Singapore and she plans to file for divorce over there. She is a green card holder, the child is a US citizen and does not have dual. Does she have any legal right to do this? Can't she be charged with kidnapping? What could be the repercussions of this? She claims that her lawyer in Singapore said the child cannot be extradited because of the Hague convention...is that true?
    Thanks for any feedback.
    Thanks for the reply. Very helpful!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2007, 02:03 PM
    What she did may not be legally according to US law but, given the circumstances, there isn't really much that can be done.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 4, 2007, 07:03 PM
    This is the problem, US divorce law has no real bearing there, the parent in the US can file for divorce her and most likely be given custody here in the US and that would be binding if the child ever comes back to the US
    ( and specificly the state where you end up getting the divorce)

But the other parent can most likely also get a divorce there esp since there were married there. So in their nation, they will have legal custody.

There is no criminal charge for this, so there is no extridiction available.

There is little you can do legally to get the child back to the US

Dec 5, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Thanks again! All info helpful!
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2007, 08:45 AM
    File for divorce, get sole custody, and if you really want the child back, fly to Singapore, and grab the child and fly back home. If you did it really fast, and had the papers in your hand when you landed back in the USA customs would likely let you back in with no problems. Of course you would want to check with the State Department first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relocating with my child [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 6 1/2 month old son that was born in Texas. His father and I lived together until my son was 2 months, but he refused to sign the birth certificate and refused to go to the Attorney Generals to get child support set up. We ended up splitting up and I remained in Texas for a month, then...

Unborn child and a divorce [ 1 Answers ]

I just found out I was with child. The problem is I am going to be going through a divorce. I know he does not want the baby, I do. He will give me full custody with no fight. The thing is I would like him to (I am sure he would love this also) sign over prental rights of the child. The question is...

Child support after divorce [ 8 Answers ]

I have been divorced for a year now and have two children. My ex ended up with custody of the children. I have visitations with the children staying with me. I am in public housing that includes my children on the lease. Plus am on food stamps that includes the children. I do work, but my income is...

Relocating my children after a divorce to best benefit them [ 5 Answers ]

I have been divorced now for just over a year. I have full custody of my daughters and my ex only has visitation rights, which he does not use. He also does not pay any of the child support that the court granted me, which was very little to begin with. I moved from Indiana to New Jersey several...

Divorce and unborn child [ 2 Answers ]

My husband recently filed for divorce because he can not deal with the legal issues my first husband is putting us through. WE have a child that is due in December but he wants to give up his rights so I won't be in his life, but the catch is that he wants me to sign a consent decree stating that...

View more questions Search