Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LindaOswegoNY48 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2012, 01:54 PM
    Should I press for a divorce or remain legally separated?
    I've been legally separated for over 20 years. With my husband in his mid-60s, I'm thinking I should remain legally separated because I THINK I'll be able to get part of his pension & Social Security retirement income, plus half of his estate if he dies before I do. The kids will get the other half, I think. Am I right? My current income & income prospects are satisfactory for a happy life.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 4, 2012, 01:59 PM
    If he dies first who gets what depends on what his will says first, and what the laws of his state are if he doesn't have a will. SS I'm pretty sure you will get although I'm not positive about the legally separated part (which goes by state law) and the pension depends on the pension. Don't forget you could die first.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2012, 02:07 PM
    Are you in NY? If so New York intestacy law (who inherits when there is no will) is: If there is a spouse and no children, all to the spouse. If spouse and children, first $50,000 to the spouse, then 50/50 between spouse and children (children of pre-deceased children assume their parents share."

Some of this depends on how the pension is set up - he collectss a larger monthly figure but the pension ends when he dies; he collects a smaller amount and you collect upon his death until your death.

You were married more than 10 years. You'll collect from his SS whether you are married at his death or not.

He also can collect from your estate using the same guidelines.

Does your separation agreement address the pension and Will?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file taxes legally separated if I was not legally separated from my husband? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I separated in December 2008 but he didn't not want to file papers for a legal separation. Can I still file taxes as Legally Separated? Or do we have to file together or married filing separately?

Divorce entitlement after being separated for 10yr. And not legally [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to get a divorce, I would like to what I would be entitled to and how much it would cost. Ive been separated for roughly 10 yrs. And will it be quick

SHould you be legally separated before filing for/or while filing for divorce? [ 4 Answers ]

What is the advantage of being legally separated while filing for divorce? Common sense tells me that a separation PRIOR to a divorce is to afford a couple some time to possibly reconcile before filing for divorce. But, if you went straight for a divorce, would you need to file for a separation?...

View more questions Search