Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mamatater1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2009, 12:25 PM
    Masonry cracks
    I recently had an addition completed to my house. Now some six moths later I observe a fine hair line crack along the full length ( approx 7 ft) of the joining of the old and new masonry. The crack is fairly visible on the inside and slightly visible on the outside.
    How can the crack be repaired or at least disguised?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 03:06 PM

Caulk. How wide is the crack?

You say 'Full length" I assume this is vertical and not horizontal?

Old mason asking here.

Do you know what size footer you had?

Apr 1, 2009, 10:43 AM
    Hi Old Mason

I do not know what a footer is, please explain. The crack is vertical and is just a line on the outside but a hairsbreadth in width on the oinside.
    Are you suggesting I use caulk?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2009, 01:41 PM

The footer is what holds the house addition up so it doesn't sink, or settle too much to pull away from the main house. So footer width and thickness plays a major role here. Poor footer addition pulls away from main house.

There is always some settlement in any foundation.

You keep saying along the full length. Full lentge where? Vertical where the old and new house met up that wall corner?

Need dead on specifics. I can't see what you see.

Post back

Apr 2, 2009, 05:40 AM
    Hi 21 boat

Thanks for the quick responses. In my initial question I stated that the l crack was at the point where the old masonry joined the new masonry. Yes it is vertical running from the ceiling to the floor. There is crown moulding at the ceiling however there is no skirting on the floor. The crack is about 1-2mm wide on the inside and is jagged i.e. it does not run in a straight line.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Masonry fireplace separating from chimney [ 6 Answers ]

Our home has a wood-burning fireplace. We used it up until we discovered that it was falling forward (mantel level on down) from the wall at the point where it meets the actual chimney. Mantel height is apart about 2 inches, V's down from there. The cement is brittle & crumbling where its come...

Wainscoting (paneling) over masonry -- fir, drywall, or both? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm putting beadboard halfway up the wall in a room, two walls of which are masonry. One of the masonry walls is an exterior wall that is double-thick brick (almost 16" deep!). The other is an interior wall (between townhouses) that is concrete block. What is the best way to beadboard these...

Put Masonry over old concrete [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible to put nice stonework (masonry) over old ugly concrete stairs instead ripping out the stairs? Maybe even match it up with the patio?

Masonry [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone told me what kind of masonary I should use for the outside of my foundation. And the inside foundation

View more questions Search