Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimatoga Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2009, 11:00 AM
    Credit card default or not
    Should I pay off my credit card debt or default?

I am a 72 year old woman recently widowed with 25k in creditt card debt in my name. I live in NY state and currently employed making 23K/yr. I own my house with a value of 100K. I have an 30K in savings and am receiving 50K from a life insurance policy.

I don't think I'll ever have a need for credit again, so I'm not worried about my credit score. What are the pros and cons of defaulting on the credit cards?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 26, 2009, 11:31 AM

Pay the debt. You borrowed the money, pay it back. If you don't you will be sued for the money, which will result in a judgement against you. You are employed and have assets. The creditor will get his money, probably twice what you owe right now.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 01:01 PM

They will file a judgement and when granted, you will no longer have 30k in savings. You will have zero... and probably still owe some.

They can (and likely will) attach a lien to any property you have making it impossible to sell without settling the lien first.

Plus, this isn't about your credit rating... its about morality. You borrowed the money - pay it back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card default [ 2 Answers ]

Many years ago I was diagnoised with hiv. Well to make a long story short I ran all of my credit cards up to about 30,000. Now I am living healthy and not expected to die but I can not make the payments on any of these cards. I am in big trouble. My biggest fear is that they will take my car...

Credit Card Default [ 4 Answers ]

I defaulted on a credit card 6 years ago for $2000. They have filed a suit in court. I would like to settle but before they will talk about it, they want all of my financial information. Should I give it to them before court?

Credit card default. [ 1 Answers ]

If I default on a credit card what is going to happen? Can they make me pay back the debt?

Credit card default [ 1 Answers ]

I have been contacted by a law firm/collection agency which states I owe a credit card company 26K for unpaid credit card payments. The person who committed fraud against me for this amount has moved to another state, although he did sign a Letter of Financial Responsibility from the credit card...

Credit card default timeline [ 1 Answers ]

If I'm forced to default on my credit card how long before I am turned over to a collection agency and then sued? I would like to know how much breathing space I will have to gather money to get back on my feet and for the lawsuit.

View more questions Search