Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tgilbert5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 06:34 AM
    Credit card default
    I have been contacted by a law firm/collection agency which states I owe a credit card company 26K for unpaid credit card payments. The person who committed fraud against me for this amount has moved to another state, although he did sign a Letter of Financial Responsibility from the credit card company, giving his name, ss number, etc and stating that he would repay that loan to the credit card company. I am 62 years old and working fulltime. Should I write a validation of debt letter to the company and/or talk to one of the firm's representatives about this? I have already sent a certified/return receipt requested letter with all my information to the company, but they still sent me a letter stating that they are going to take action in thirty days. My only other recourse, it seems, with my full time job being a second career, is to "retire" again and collect my SS benefits, along with my other retirement benefits from my previous career, which they couldn't touch. Under these circumstances, and were I found to be responsible to pay back the debt, would I have a leg to stand on to negotiate a settlement which would allow me to continue working until I reach 66 (my goal)?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 12, 2007, 06:50 AM
    If I understand you, someone used your card and racked up over $20K. For some reason this person was not criminally prosecuted, but signed a letter acknowledging responsibility and offering to repay. However, he hasn't done so the CC is coming after you.

You really need to consult with an attorney here. I do not know whether this Letter of Financial Responsibility is binding on the CC, I doubt if it is. That means, since you are the signator on the account its you they come after. If the letter is not binding, then YOU have to reach some settlement with them and then sue the person who signed the letter to collect from them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

FICO Credit Score: Maintain a 50% debt to credit-limit ratio on _each_ card? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been advised that I should transfer part of a balance of one credit card to another card in order to maintain 50% debt to credit limit ratio on _each_ card even though my _total_ debt to credit limit ratio is already below 50%. (Most of the debt is on one card for convenience.) I could...

Credit card default timeline [ 1 Answers ]

If I'm forced to default on my credit card how long before I am turned over to a collection agency and then sued? I would like to know how much breathing space I will have to gather money to get back on my feet and for the lawsuit.

Credit default [ 1 Answers ]

Can I be sued for credit card default in Texas?

Line of credit default [ 5 Answers ]

I owned a business which went under and now I have a 65,000 line of credit which I have een sued for. My father was a silent partner and is being named in the suit. He has CD's retirment savings. If they file a judgment against both of us and I can not pay it will they go after his money? We...

No credit. Need suggestions for selecting a credit card with low APR [ 2 Answers ]

Hai, I don't possess a credit card till now. I am planning to buy a car by applying loan. My friends advised me that if I pay my loan premium using a credit card, it would help building my credit history. They also told me to look for 0% APR (any such offer for the first year) or less APR to...

View more questions Search