Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lost?? Posts: 234, Reputation: 7

Jun 9, 2010, 04:07 PM
    Framing walls in a basement with asbestos floor tiles
    I'm going to be framing walls in my basement which currently has asbestos tiles for the floor. Rather than remove the tiles, I am going to put carpet over them, I wanted to drive the nails for the bottom wall plate straight through the tiles into the concrete below. What precautions should I take in order to minimize the asbestos released when I drill the hole for the nails?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 9, 2010, 04:27 PM

Wear a resporator and wet the floor first so it has something to stick to. Also you should seal it before carpeting so there is a wear surface above the tiles if your not using 1/4" flooring as a cover base.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 9, 2010, 06:29 PM

Don't drill, simple as that. Lay a double bead of construction adhesive along each edge of T&P 2x4, put 2x4 in place and nail with a 22 caliber Remington nail gun. I will not tell you to go out and breath asbestos fiber just for kicks but a one time slight exposure is not going to cause asbestosis. Folks who work in the asbestos mine or in naval vessels insulated with asbestos should worry but you should be fine doing what I laid out.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2010, 06:29 PM

To add here I use a roll of plate insulation to put down the plate. This also will help encapsulate escaping particles.

What's your plans on insulating the basement if any. Many DIYers get in trouble here. Look at the site below for the best way to insulate a basement

YouTube - Install Rigid Foam Insulation in Basement Video

YouTube - Best way to insulate a basement 800x600
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 9, 2010, 06:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Don't drill, simple as that. Lay a double bead of construction adhesive along each edge of T&P 2x4, put 2x4 in place and nail with a 22 caliber Remington nail gun. I will not tell you to go out and breath asbestos fiber just for kicks but a one time slight exposure is not going to cause asbestosis. Folks who work in the asbestos mine or in naval vessels insulated with asbestos should worry but you should be fine doing what I laid out.
    Also mechanics had to worry about that too until they changed the composition of brake linings to ceramic.

Jun 9, 2010, 06:49 PM
    Thanks for your responses. As for insulation, I was going to use 3/4 inch 8x4 foam insulation board, unless you think there's a better option?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 9, 2010, 07:20 PM

What makes you think the tiles are asbestos?

Jun 9, 2010, 07:47 PM
    I bought the house last year. When it was inspected, the inspector told me they were asbestos. It's an older home, over 50 years old.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2010, 08:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lost?? View Post
    Thanks for your responses. As for insulation, I was going to use 3/4 inch 8x4 foam insulation board, unless you think there's a better option?
    Don't know your Geo here but 3/4 a bit cheez thicker board is always better. Also saves on air conditioning the basement.

Jun 9, 2010, 08:29 PM
    I live in the mid-altantic region, hot summers and cold winters. The basement isn't heated/airconditioned, so I'm not worried about heat loss, but more to keep moisture out. Haven't had water problems in the basement yet, but I know pretty much every basement is susceptible to mositure.

Jun 10, 2010, 04:01 AM

Did inspector have tiles tested by lab? You CANNOT look at anything and tell if it has asbestos in it. Nor can you distinguish asbestos tiles by size (9") as some claim. That size was popular in the 50's and 60"s. Some were made with asbestos fibers to increase wear, most were not. No real risk to you, whether you nail or drill. Only risk is if you attempt to remove, and that would be minimal.

Jun 10, 2010, 06:20 AM
    They were not tested, I guess he just assumed they were asbestos. In any case, I'll see if I can get a nail gun and if not, I'll just wet the floor first and use a 3M mask when I drill, thanks.

Jun 15, 2010, 04:43 AM

That would be a power hammer, not a nail gun. Or you could use cut nails and a 4 lb. sledge hammer.
    Any home inspector who assumes a house has asbestos should not be in business.

Jun 16, 2010, 03:56 AM

You can bet that all tiles commonly used in basements up to the early to mid 80's contains asbestos

JazMan
    What information or data do you base that statement on? Asbestos was included in tiles to resist wear. As a result asbestos tiles were usually more expensive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Framing walls in basement [ 2 Answers ]

I will be framing "floating" walls in my basement using 2x4's. Framing a wall perpendicular to the "engineered" floor joist is not problem, but how do I handle a wall that runs parallel to the floor joist and is located between the joist, not directly on a joist? Keep in mind this is an engineered...

How can I seal asbestos floor tiles [ 4 Answers ]

I have asbestos floor tiles in the basement. I would like to seal them but I am not sure what kind of sealer should be used. Most lealers are for wood flooring and I do not know if it will adhere to the asbestos vinyl tiles.

Seal floor against moisture, asbestos tiles and prep [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 43 year old home in unincorporated King Co. Washington state. The two-car garage was transformed into a family room years before I bought the house. There is a moisture problem with the concrete floor that I think is generating mold. Before I install any permanent flooring, I need to...

Asbestos floor tiles? [ 9 Answers ]

We are replacing some wall to wall carpeting. The other day when the installer came out to measure the room he said that the tiling underneath was asbestos. We are putting new wall to wall carpet down over that floor (which is not brittle and is intact). 2 questions: 1. Where can we have a piece...

View more questions Search