Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imkarmo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2013, 07:49 AM
    Divorced 18 years. My children still won't speak to me.
    I was married for 22 years when I divorced. I remarried after 1 year, and my adult children hate me for that. I gave up along time ago, I couldn't stand all the hateful things they were saying.

So much time has passed but I would like to have a relationship with my daughter 36 yrs and son 39 yrs. I have spoken with my daughter a couple of times but she says she hates me for ruining her life when I left. I live in AZ and she is in MN. I am lost and I don't know what to do.

I have 3 grandchildren that I have never met. Is there anything I can do to to re establish a relationship with my kids?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 15, 2013, 07:52 AM
    What have you done in the past 18 years to try to rectify the hurt feelings, the bad feelings toward your new husband?

I think that's a starting point.

If you've done nothing, well, it's probably too late. Life has gone on without you, and that's the sad but true fact.

Did you leave your husband for your second husband? Is that the problem? Did you leave the children with their father and walk away?

Lots of people get divorced without this kind of drama. What specifically is your children's problem?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 15, 2013, 08:00 AM
    If you have been divorced for 18 years and your children are 36 and 39, then they were 18 and 21 at the time! What business was it of theirs? Were they still living at home, or in college and you and their father couldn't continue to pay? Did the house get sold and they were out in the cold? Or what? I don't get it. Not being nosy, just trying to figure out how grown children could hate a parent this much and for this long.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 15, 2013, 08:04 AM
    If you have not broken the walls down in 18 years then I doubt things will change unless your kids want to change.

Doesn't look like that's happening so no, I see nothing you can do. Sorry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ex girlfriend still loves but won't speak to me [ 0 Answers ]

I was with my ex girlfriend for 2 years & generally we got well together, had nice holidays etc. After a while things didn't seem right & I wasn't paying her enough attention & working too much. Anyway, would had a stupid argment on a night out & haven't seen her since, its been 3 weeks now &...

Divorced for 10 years with two children; how to get custody letter from court [ 3 Answers ]

I am mother of a two children-son aged 13 and daughter aged 12. I am divorced from their father for 10 years and he never tried to contact the children since then and never asked for children's custody or permission to visit them. He paid £250 per month through child support agency for about six...

My youngest is 27 years old, and I have been divorced for 27 years. My ex was ordere [ 2 Answers ]

My youngest is 27 years old, and I have been divorced for 27 years. My ex was ordered to pay child support for two children in our divorce decree but, he never paid a dime. All of a sudden I received a check for $151.00 from Michigan child spport. Why now ? Can I expect more back payments?

View more questions Search