Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    c.n.w Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2010, 10:55 AM
    Are we too young to get married
    I am 21 years old but I look like I am 16 and my wonderful boyfriend is 23.
    We have been together for 3 1/2 years and we are starting to think of our future.
    We already got a place together just just about 2 years ago.
    And he asked me to marry him, I said yes but then I thought how long should we wait? Are we too young? Espically with me looking 5 years younger then I really am?
    Personally I want to get married in 2012 and if we choose that when should we start telling people we are engaged?
    Blue Angel Posts: 266, Reputation: 51

Jul 20, 2010, 11:27 AM

Being ready for marriage has nothing to do with how old you look, it has to do with whether you two are truly ready to commit to each other in that way. The only people who really know that are you and your fiancé. 21 may be to young for some but not for others, it just depends on the people involved. Don't base your decision to marry on your looks and worries about what other people may think about them. If you are not ready based on other reasons you should be honest with yourself and your fiancé about it. You don't want to go through the process and cost of planning a wedding and then backing out. Telling others that you are engaged should happen when the two of you are ready for people to know. You have plenty of time to let people know since you are planning to marry in 2012. If you plan on having people there that have to travel from a distance you may want to give them enough time to save money for the trip and make travel arrangements.The timeframe you need for the actual planning of the wedding really depends on how extravagant you want the wedding to be.
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Jul 20, 2010, 11:43 AM

You are not too young to live together , why would you be too young to get married. Looking young has nothing to do with it.
    By getting married you would only be formalizing the situation you live in now.

Doesn't living together imply that you are "engaged".

I don't understand why you live with him and question marriage unless there are other issues.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jul 20, 2010, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by martinizing 2 View Post
    You are not too young to live together , why would you be too young to get married. Looking young has nothing to do with it.
    By getting married you would only be formalizing the situation you live in now.

Doesn't living together imply that you are "engaged".

I don't understand why you live with him and question marriage unless there are other issues.
    Have to spread some rep, but your answer is spot on.
    If you think you are too young for marriage, then you are too young to live together as well. How old or young you look has nothing to do with it.
    I don't understand the wait for marriage unless you just want to have an expensive wedding and need the time to pay for it. Putting off a wedding for two years after you have already been living together for two years makes no sense to me, but that's just me.
    Why are you wanting to wait?
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2010, 11:54 AM

I agree with all of the above responses. Why the wait?
    jessickah12712 Posts: 39, Reputation: 3

Jul 20, 2010, 11:58 AM

If u guys love each other and plan on being together forever then go for it! Good luck
    c.n.w Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2010, 02:03 PM
    We have a lot of family his parents have 20 brothers and sisters together and my parents only have 6 so it's a big family.
    And he poped the question yesterday and also his sister is getting married May 2010 so we thought we would wait until their wedding was over.
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2010, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by c.n.w View Post
    we have alot of family his parents have 20 brothers and sisters together and my parents only have 6 so its a big family.
    and he poped the question yesterday and also his sister is getting married May 2010 so we thought we would wait til their wedding was over.
    Well it's probably good to think about the wedding. After you attend hers you may want to change your mind and get married sooner. Good Luck:)
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 20, 2010, 02:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by c.n.w View Post
    we have alot of family his parents have 20 brothers and sisters together and my parents only have 6 so its a big family.
    and he poped the question yesterday and also his sister is getting married May 2010 so we thought we would wait til their wedding was over.
    Did you mean 2011?

That is a lot of people and if they have to travel, I can see giving them plenty of time especially with the sister's wedding.

As for if you are ready, as has been said, only you two know if you are ready to take the step of making a formal declaration. You have been living together long enough to be able to make that decision. I hope.

When to make the announcement? Maybe talk with the sister and see if she is okay with her brother announcing his intentions. Some brides get upset at the thought of someone trying to take the spotlight. Some want everyone around them to get married (even the ones who are married already.)

Congratulations. :)
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 20, 2010, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jessickah12712 View Post
    if u guys love eachother and plan on being together forever then go for it! good luck
    Jessickah, please do not use chat speak. It is against site rules. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/faq.ph...#faq_faq_rules

Thank you.
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2010, 02:24 PM

c.n.w. it's your wedding and you do whatever makes you happy.
    Good Luck and have a beautiful life together! Blessings

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I too young to get married [ 8 Answers ]

Well I will be 21 on the 14 of this month and my b/f is 26 we have been together for 2 1/2 years I love him very much and I know he feels the same and I just want to know if I am too young to get married, or if the relationship is too young?

Getting Married Young [ 117 Answers ]

I am 17 years old an am engaged to be married a couple of monthes after I turn 18 to my fiancé who is 19 and will be 20 by the time we marry. When I tell people this they act very shocked and it seems as though they dissaprove. What can I do to reassure them that this is definitely the person I...

Am I too young to get married? [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 19, my fiancé is 26, at the time of are wedding he will be 27 and I will still be 19, am I to young to get married to him? He has already been married once before 3 years ago and has a 4 year old son... am I to young for this commitment? We have been living together for a year now and have...

Married young [ 2 Answers ]

Got married at 19 nearly 20. We had been in a long distance relationship on and off for 2years. During this time only saw each other about five times and spent a few hours together.however its been nearly 4 years now and I feel I rushed into it as I feel I have changed in person. He is 8 years...

View more questions Search