Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BusyBof3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2007, 05:46 PM
    SULFURIC ACID sitting in toilet!
    Lat week I discovered that when my washing machine drained the water it would come up through the toilet in my guest bath. I bought a snake but was not able to get anywhere. Called a plumber who ran an auger through a vent on the roof and the problem was solved, or we thought.

One week later , here we are again. This time the water would not drain out of the tub after our kiddos took their bath. So... my hubby bought some sulfuric acid to put in the toilet. He did everything just as instructed but the acid is not going anywhere and we have sulfuric acid sitting in our toilet! We tried to pour baking soda in it to neutralize it but a nasty gas was created. I am scared because we have 3 very small children and I don't know how to get rid of this nasty stuff! Please, please help!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2007, 09:16 PM
    I don't quite understand why people add acid to drains when caustic is much more effective on the hair and grease that is usually the problem.

Buy some lye based drain cleaner. SLOWLY add it to the toilet. It will get hot, but shouldn't give off fumes. Not sure how to know how much. Perhaps the easiest place to find some indicator paper would be with the fish tank or pool supplies. Once you get it near pH 7, it should safe to plunge or auger.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 23, 2007, 06:47 AM
    VENTILATE THE BATHROOM AT ONCE** THIS IS DANGEROUS TO YOUR FAMILY and leave the window open until the acid's gone. I lost a good friend who used Blast-Out, a sulfuric acid drain cleaner sold only to plumbers. In a unvented bath room. He died doing exactly what your husband's doing. What ever possessed him to bring such a dangerous chemical into your home and pour it into a open container and put his family at risk.
    If labmans method doesn't work they make a acid neutralizer. Check it out at; :NEUTRASORB ® ACID NEUTRALIZER Don't let this slide! First clear out the acid and ventilate the bath room and then call the plumber back. He didn't get all of the blockage out when he snaked the vent. By the way, are you on a septic tank or city sewer? Regards Tom
    PlumbMaster Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Nov 1, 2010, 11:03 AM
    1. You are not supposed to add sulfuric acid to a stopped up waste only a slow draining waste. 2. You should never put sulfuric acid in a toilet it is only intended for sink and or tub/show waste pipes. 3. The only chemical which is intended for toilets is Hydrochloric Acid and should only be done by a trained professional.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 1, 2010, 12:33 PM

PlumbMaster. For someone with a handle like that you sure give out bad advice. Let alone that you're responding to a three year old dead thread your advice was dangerous. Be advised that your posts will nows be monitored in the future for content. What in the world were you thinking by advising the use of harmful and dangerous chemicals into enclosed area? Shame on you! Tom

I can not advise against using muratic acid, or any acid, in a enclosed area, such as a rest room or kitchen, strongly enough. As a young boy I would take limed up toilet bowls out in the alley behind the shop and boil the lime out of them. Over half a century later my lungs still carry the scar tissue that the acid fumes caused. A few years ago I lost a good friend when he used a commercial drain cleaner containing sulfuric acid in a unvented bathroom. Acid IS NOT A GOOD IDEA to use to clear mineral buildup. Take it from one who's paid the price. And as a repair plumber I have never recommended using harsh chemicals. In your drainage system. Besides they only seem to work in TV commercials and when you try to remove the water you could burn your hands or damage your eyes

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sodium carbonate + sulfuric acid [ 11 Answers ]

What is the product of sodium carbonate + sulfuric acid?

Sulfuric acid+ calcium carbonate [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I ould like to know the chemical reaction that shows how sulfuric acid reacts with calcium carbonate. If someone could please answer as fast as you can ill be very thankful:)

Gas ylded from combing sulfuric acid with the following: [ 2 Answers ]

What gas (or gases) results from the following chemical reactions? 1. sulfuric acid + sodium bicarbonate --> ? 2. sulfuric acid + zinc --> ? 3. sulfuric acid + sodium acetate --> ? This is for an Intro Chem Lab, so the answer need not be in equation form.

Copper (II) Oxide + Sulfuric Acid [ 7 Answers ]

When you are combining Copper (II) Oxide with Sulfuric Acid, would you need to keep the '2' in Cu when working with Cu2O + H2SO4? I don't really know how else to word my question.

View more questions Search