Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Yusf Posts: 198, Reputation: 3

May 6, 2016, 04:50 PM
    Questions for chemistry exams
    HI! After an year into alevels, I have got some questions before the exams. I have not found any satisfactory answers from my own research or even from my teacher. So I need your help. If you do not have time to answer all these, then answer at leaset one for now. That will be beneficial for me.

1. Why is titration only possible with liquids? I mean we can take a solid in the beaker and run the other reactant from the burette. Rate of reaction may be slow but we can wait for it to complere before we add more reactant from the burette?
    2. Write two observations when CaNO3 is heated. Well, one may be a brown gas is produced. What about the other? My answer was - The solid CaNO3 gets smaller but I got no credits for it. Can you tell me why?
    3. Shaking an alkene with acidified KMnO4 produces a diol. Will it happen with Na2Cr2O7 too? If no, then why?
    4. We know about ocidation of alcohol with acidified K2Cr2O7. Will I get the same products if I use acidified KMnO4?
    5. Keeping silver chloride in light causes it to turn gray. What about the other silver halides?
    6. What happens when you shake you bubble an alkene through bromine dissolved in an organic solvent? My answer- it goes red to colourless. But it has been rejected by the markscheme. Any ideas why?

Any help will be appreciated very much. Thank you.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 7, 2016, 12:38 AM
    What do YOU think ?
    While we're happy to HELP we wont do all the work for you.
    Show us what you have done and where you are having problems..

May 7, 2016, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    What do YOU think ?
    While we're happy to HELP we wont do all the work for you.
    Show us what you have done and where you are having problems..
    Well, I do not know why you thing I am trying to het my work done by you. These questions have risen feom one year of study, so are large in number. I have TRIED EVERYTHING myself. Books, TEACHERS, Google everything. I have done a lot of reaearch and these are the remaining 10% which gave me no satisfactory amswer despite my efforts. Tell me how I can prove that I have done reserch myself. I will prove u. Because this is the only way I have now.
    And probably most of these queations will not be in alevels questions. You can download and chexk syllabus yourself . So there is no chance that this is a home work.
    After all these, I think it is justified to take my word. But if you need any proof, name it. Just name it.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 7, 2016, 09:42 AM
    These are the site rules and the link to it, pay close attention to who made that rule and has the power to enforce those rules...

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/math-s...-b-u-font.html

Read this first: Expectations for the Homework Help board
    Do not simply retype or paste a question from your book or study material

We won't do your homework questions for you.
    You were given the assignment for you to learn.

If you come up with your own answer and post it for us to critique that is within reason.

If you have some SPECIFIC questions that you couldn't find or didn't understand, we may help with that.
    But this is your assignment, so show us you have at least attempted to complete it on your own.

Thank you.

May 7, 2016, 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    These are the site rules and the link to it, pay close attention to who made that rule and has the power to enforce those rules...

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/math-s...-b-u-font.html

Read this first: Expectations for the Homework Help board
    Do not simply retype or paste a question from your book or study material

We won't do your homework questions for you.
    You were given the assignment for you to learn.

If you come up with your own answer and post it for us to critique that is within reason.

If you have some SPECIFIC questions that you couldn't find or didn't understand, we may help with that.
    But this is your assignment, so show us you have at least attempted to complete it on your own.

Thank you.
    I do not understand which part you think I am violating . 1. It is not my homework. 2. Posted my specific questions. I have no logical suhhestions for these. 3. Not my homeworl, not my assignment. Tried researching on these. Found nothing good.
    Is not that OK? Please be specific about which part now you think I disobeyed.

Why don't you guys simply believe me? Is my claim too unrealistic?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 7, 2016, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Yusf View Post
    I do not understand which part you think I am violating . 1. It is not my homework. 2. Posted my specific questions. I have no logical suhhestions for these. 3. Not my homeworl, not my assignment. Tried researching on these. Found nothing good.
    Is not that OK? Please be specific about which part now you think I disobeyed.

Why don't you guys simply believe me? Is my claim too unrealistic.
    We need to know WHY you are asking these questions. What brought them into your mind?

May 7, 2016, 03:50 PM
    First of all, I am very sorry about all the typographical mistakes. I typed them on a hurry from my phone. Please ignore that.
    So this is how I got the questions:
    1. There is an exercise in my book that asks calculation questions from an experiment. It was on how to determine the amount of CaCO3 in egg shell. So it it written there that the egg shell can not be titrated directly and thus was reacted in excess acid and the remaining acid was titrated. I asked my teacher about why it can not be Titrated directly. He said "because it is a solid." but he had no satisfactory explanation for why solid is a problem.
    2. That was in the test my teacher took.
    3 And 4. I was checking the notes on markscheme and saw "reject KMnO4" for the question "... converting alcohol to Carboxylic acid with acidified __________ (oxidizing agent). Then I though that they are both strong oxidizing agent. Can I use them interchangeably? If no, then why?
    5. I was studying test for halides (cl-, br- and I-). But the information of exposure to sunlight was mentioned only about Silver chloride. So I wondered about the other two Silver halides as well.
    6. Was in past papers. The mark scheme rejects my answer but contains no explanation.
    :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ask chemistry questions [ 1 Answers ]

At 900degrees C, Kp = 1.04 for the reaction CaCO3 (s) --> CaO(s) + CO2(g) At a low temperature, dry ice (solid CO2), calcium oxide and calcium carbonate are introduced into a 50 L reaction chamber. The temperature is raised to 900 degrees C resulting in the dry ice converting to gaseous CO3....

Ask questions for chemistry [ 3 Answers ]

An organic molecule carbon/water ratio of 1:1 is a?

Ask chemistry questions? [ 2 Answers ]

In 2008 gasoline in india costs 29.9 rupees per liter. What is the cost of a gallon of gasoline in U.S. dollar per gallon? There are 42.7 indian rupees per U.S. dollar.

Chemistry Questions [ 1 Answers ]

What mass of sulfuric acid, H2O4, is required to react with 1.27 g of potassium hydroxide, KOH? The products of this reaction are potassium sulfate and water.

View more questions Search