Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    digerdo2 Posts: 60, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2012, 04:14 PM
    How do you check the inch-pounds on screws
    I know you use a torque wrench to check bolts but how do you check for screws.

Thanks
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Dec 16, 2012, 11:49 AM
    Hi,
    Most screws do not torque, it leat not above 110 in-lb, which can be done by most folks with decent hand strength. There are Impact drivers to achieve greater torque; generally only used in engine applications.
    Usually yo simply follow normal mechanic rules; clean surfaces and threads before assembly.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Dec 17, 2012, 02:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    Most screws do not torque, it leat not above 110 in-lb, which can be done by most folks with decent hand strength. There are Impact drivers to achieve greater torque; generally only used in engine applications.
    Usually yo simply follow normal mechanic rules; clean surfaces and threads before assembly.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Clarke my repair manual for Amana Washer says to torque to 35 lb-inch max.
    60 to 80 lbs-inch. So my question still stands. How do I torque the screws.
    What am I looking for in the way of a tool?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2012, 03:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by digerdo2 View Post
    Clarke my repair manual for Amana Washer says to torque to 35 lb-inch max.
    60 to 80 lbs-inch. So my question still stands. How do I torque the screws.
    What am I looking for in the way of a tool?
    If it is 35 inch pounds Max. what is the 60-80? I would use a socket that goes from the driver to the size of the driver bit. 3/8 square to 1/4 P2 or straight, something in that range . Do not use a ft# wrench, use an inch # As long as the adapter stays in a straight line, there would be no torque multiplication .
    Harbor Freight had one on sale for $10 last week.

Dec 17, 2012, 04:06 PM
    Installing drive bell on my Amana washer

"Note: Tighten new shoulder screw between 60 to 80 inch-pounds".

3/8 square to 1/4 P2 or straight what is this a torque screwdriver?

What is ft# wrench. What am I asking for at Harbor Freight?

Thanks... glenda
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2012, 05:21 PM
    Installing drive bell on my Amana washer

"Note: Tighten new shoulder screw between 60 to 80 inch-pounds".

3/8 square to 1/4 P2 or straight what is this a torque screwdriver?

What is ft# wrench. What am I asking for at Harbor Freight?

thanks..............glenda
    Torque wrenches are ft pounds. (#) or inch pounds. If you use a 150 ft # wrench, you will never accurately measure 5-7 ft #, you need an inch# wrench -12 inch# = 1 ft#. The end of an inch# torque wrench is usually 3/8" square. So, you need to get from square to whatever pattern the screw head is -Phillips, straight, torx etc. You didn't tell us so we are guessing. Get an inch pound torque wrench and a socket that fits the torque wrench and whatever bit you are using. They do sell torque bit drivers but they are expensive and don't usually go as high as you need. We used them in the Army when working on heliocopters.

Dec 17, 2012, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Torque wrenches are ft pounds. (#) or inch pounds. If you use a 150 ft # wrench, you will never accurately measure 5-7 ft #, you need an inch# wrench -12 inch# = 1 ft#. The end of an inch# torque wrench is usually 3/8" square. So, you need to get from square to whatever pattern the screw head is -Phillips, straight, torx etc. You didn't tell us so we are guessing. Get an inch pound torque wrench and a socket that fits the torque wrench and whatever bit you are using. They do sell torque bit drivers but they are expensive and don't usually go as high as you need. We used them in the Army when working on heliocopters.
    I don't know what kind of screws yet. I haven't gotten into the washer yet. Just worrying about the screw torque and what is it.

Will these work "Kobalt 24 piece 1/4-in drive Torx Driver Socket Set" on sale at Lowe's for $9.97?

Thanks... glenda
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Dec 17, 2012, 05:42 PM
    I may catch hell for this but... In this situation, I don't think I would even worry about torque. I think I would just tighten it by hand until it felt tight and be done with it.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Dec 17, 2012, 06:24 PM
    Hi,
    My torque for in.lb. is a Husky from Home Depot(I have all three of their sizes) and has a 3/8" drive. I have a plethora of bits and adapters. I do have to agree with the post directly above since good hand strength will reach 80 in.lb.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2012, 06:19 AM
    I don't know what kind of screws yet. I haven't gotten into the washer yet. Just worrying about the screw torque and what is it.

Will these work "Kobalt 24 piece 1/4-in drive Torx Driver Socket Set" on sale at Lowes for $9.97??

thanks..........................glenda
    If you have Torx screws. These are not torque wrenches.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many pounds of force per square inch from a coyote delivering 300n of force? [ 1 Answers ]

All right, so I've ran into coyotes a couple of times on vacation now. First time scared me a little, after that I researched them. Based on average weight and top speed of a coyote, a pounce at me can deliver 300N(n?? ) of force. With a surface area of, oh, I'd estimate around 26x12in. So...

Pounds per sq. inch at 60 mph. [ 0 Answers ]

Air flowing through a 4 inch pipe At 60 mph equals how many psi. lets assume Air pressure at 30.00

Pounds per sq. inch [ 2 Answers ]

Air flowing through a 4 inch pipe At 60 mph. creates how much psi.

3 inch toilet flange sits directly on top of the 3 inch drian pipe [ 11 Answers ]

DO they make smaller flanges? I pulled my toilet to put tile down and now can not get a flange on it. I am very frustrated and about ready to call a plumber.

Can 8 inch center holes be changed to 4 inch on solid surface counter? [ 1 Answers ]

We are renovating our bath and were told that the solid surface double bowl Pegasus counter we purchased would fit our faucets which are 4 inch center. When we started to install the counter it was for 8 inch center faucets. We cannot return our faucets which were very exppensive because of lead...

View more questions Search