Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patricks00 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2008, 09:11 AM
    Rheem to Hunter 44860 Thermostat
    Trying to replace an old thermostat with a Hunter 44860 and can't seem to get it to work. The wiring on the old Rheem unit is as follows -
    B - Blue Wire
    R - Red Wire
    G - Green Wire
    Y - Yellow Wire
    W2 - White Wire
    X - Brown

Now the new unit has the following... note that it does not have an X terminal. I have a heat pump with emergency heat... (I don't know too much about it, I just moved into the house about a month ago.)

B - Blue Wire
    Rc/R - Red Wire (Jumper to Rh)
    G - Green Wire
    Y1 - Yellow Wire
    W2 - White Wire
    E - Brown Wire

Can someone please help me to make sure I have this wired correctly?

Oct 17, 2008, 04:08 PM

Nobody?

Oct 17, 2008, 04:20 PM

I don't have any power coming from the red wire... did I fry something?
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2008, 05:30 PM
    Did you turn off the power BEFORE you did your wiring? Did you get an owners manual with the thermostat? And why didn't you get a White Rogers or a Honeywell thermostat?
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2008, 05:59 PM

He got a hunter,, 1st mistake,, take it back before its to late,, JUNK,junk,JUNK
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 17, 2008, 06:49 PM

Got a heat pump huh. Time to call a pro. Heat pumps are a little more involved (wiring wise). I would return my hunter and have a tech come install their thermostat of choice correctly(bet its going to be a honeywell, or(ugh)white rodgers(still better than hunter or any other brand (except honeywell)).lol
    When you call for help, make sure to clarify that you have a heat pump system. Most conventional techs won't know how to work on a heat pump.
    jbilyeu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 04:32 AM

OK, I bought the Hunter, too. Took it back. I'll gladly buy the Honeywell per obvious advice. I'm not worried about hooking up the wiring per the thermostat instructions. Not a lot of rocket science here. But, I ran into the X terminal in the old Rheem thermostat, too (brown wire). The Hunter made no reference to it. I trust the Honeywell will?
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 04:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wmproop View Post
    he got a hunter,,,,,,1st mistake,,,,,,,,take it back before its to late,,,,,,,,JUNK,junk,JUNK
    The defender of consumer vulnerability comes to the rescue again! :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring from old carrier thermostat to Hunter 44860 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I need help how to wire properly my new Hunter thermostat model 44680 from an old carrier stat that has wires w/ colors red,blue,yellow,green,& white.I have read some wiring combination from other site but want to be sure the proper wiring?I would appreciate any help!thanks! ntmags

Converting a Carrier Thermostat to a Hunter Model 44860 [ 3 Answers ]

I currently have a basic contractor installed Carrier thermostat (non-programmable). We wanted to upgrade to a programmable. I went with Lux at first and had to call the tech support, only to have them call back and tell me that my system wasn't compatible. Anyway, here is my current make up on...

Hunter 42995B thermostat wiring for Rheem heat pump [ 1 Answers ]

System: Rheem all electric heat pump. Broken thermostat: Honeywell T841A1308 Heat Pump Thermostat Replacement Thermostat: Hunter 42995B Current Wiring: "X" -brown wire "B" -blue wire "W2" -white wire

Rheem to Hunter Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

Currently, I'm trying to replace an old rheem thermostat with a hunter Model 44155C. The wiring colors are confusing to a novice like me. There are five wires: red, green, blue, yellow and white. The hunter thermostat has connections for RH, RC, G, Y/O, W/B, and Y1. The only two wires that I...

View more questions Search