Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    foreverromantic Posts: 177, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2014, 10:43 AM
    Sliding Glass Door Problem
    What can be used on the track of sliding glass doors to make the doors move freely. I have tried to clean the track but that does not work very well. Can silicone spray be used on the track ?Thank You.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2014, 11:36 AM
    Keep track clean. You can use a silicone spray or WD40. Both will work. This will have to be done whenever it gets hard to move. Check to see if there is damage to the track. Also spray the wheels as this may be the cause of your problem.

Another cause could be that the wheels are adjusted to high and causing door to bind. Adjust wheels down a 1/4 turn and see if this helps.

Hope these will correct the problem.

Chuck
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2014, 12:51 PM
    After a while you may need to replace the bottom roller bearings since they rust and seize. OEM bearings are very cheap. Replacement ones are much better. However, you need to remove the door. I did 2 bearing replacements this week.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 11, 2014, 06:53 PM
    Are the rollers on the bottom track or on an overhead track? If overhead the door can be adjusted upward which will provide less friction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Warped sliding glass door frame causes door to stick. [ 5 Answers ]

The center of our 8 foot sliding glass door bends out about 3/8 inch more than the two ends causing the door to wedge against trim that keeps the door from falling out when the door is closed making it difficult to open the door. How do I get the center of the door frame into place so the door...

Sliding Glass Door Leaking [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the place to ask the question or get the answer. My sliding glass door attached to an upper deck leaks and water comes in on the bottom track. I need professional help to have this corrected. It has damaged my wood floors and the inside of the molding too. What should...

Sliding glass door [ 2 Answers ]

My sliding glass door to the patio, after your lock it and check it, moves a little bit to the left. It is still locked, but it moves. Is this normal and safe?

Sliding glass door [ 1 Answers ]

I need basic instructions for installing a sliding glass door. Irene

Sliding glass door problem [ 6 Answers ]

I just installed a laminate floor in a kitchen on top of an inch and one half sub floor. The bottom of our Andersen vinyl clad sliding glass door barely clears the floor and this without any threshold. The door wheels are set at their highest position and the top of the door rubs against...

View more questions Search