Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kmenze Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2014, 07:17 PM
    Dimmer switch has red, black, green wires. Wall has black and white. Help
    I have a dimmer switch that has black, green and red and white wires. The wall only has a black, green and red wires. I know the green is ground but where do I connect the red and white wires to. I had the black to black and the red to red with the white and it made it a strobe light. Any suggestions or should I get a different dimmer switch?
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2014, 10:27 PM
    The power is your black lead, the red is to the light. How was your old switch connected? You need to determine where the power comes in and which wire goes to the light. Is this an electronic dimmer? It may require a neutral wire which you do not have. IF that is the case, you will need to get a different switch. Posting the model # of the dimmer switch will be helpful in giving you an accurate answer.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 11, 2014, 01:53 AM
    Since the 2011 edition of the NEC, a Neutral (White) conductor has been required at switch outlets.

You have two choices, replace the cable from the fixture to the switch outlet with a 3 wire plus ground (Black - White - Red - ground) or change the style of a switch to one that does not require a Neutral conductor.

As indicated above, the cable conductors would connect Black from the fee to the light to the feed for the switch. Red, return from the switch to the light's Black. White to White at the ceiling box and ground to ground.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 11, 2014, 11:02 AM
    First off, exactly what dimmer is it? Without knowing this everything is just speculation.
    Second, it is doubtful that there is only a black and red at the switch. Are you 100% sure?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Switch with red black white wires [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a photoelectric switch for my outside light to turn it on automatically when it gets dark. There is a red black and white wire; how do I hook this up?

Red white black wires to black black and green wires [ 0 Answers ]

How do I hook up a submersible pump with red white black wires to black black and green wires

Three white wires & three black wires to dimmer switch with 2 black wires - Help! [ 2 Answers ]

I'm installing a new dimmer switch and when I removed the old on/off switch, I found 3 white cables all tied together and 3 black cables. I know that the cables also connected to the light switch in the guest room. I just don't know what to do with my 2 black wires from my new dimmer switch, and...

Replacing light switch with dimmer red black blue white wires [ 0 Answers ]

I'm replacing a light switch That Controls on light socket in the room for a lamp with a dimmer switch my old switch had 2 black wires and a white but the new dimmer has a red black blue green the new lights have only black and white wires ? How do I make this light work with this switch ?

Connecting red black tan and wires to ceiling fan with blue black green and white wir [ 2 Answers ]

How to connect red black tan and wires to ceiling fan with blue black green and white wires

View more questions Search