Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mhayos2002 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2013, 06:47 PM
    Old girl friend that she had to pay off a old credit card for 11k, that I didn't do
    I was told that a old girl friend was stuck paying a 11k debt from a credit card we jointly had back in 1992 to 1994. She wouldn't lie to me about it as well. The credit card was with great western bank visa and they are owned now by chase bank. Chase says they are not showing any records for that time. The card we had only had a 1200. Credit limit and I did have a problem at the time paying for it, but came to a settlement with them for 600. Or so. Is there anyway to find those old records, find a way to prove that I didn't do this? Pull a old credit report up from back then? Pull old credit card statements up? Prove I didn't sign anything? Or that the bank owes her money back because I couldn't have gotten a 11k credit line cause I was on disability.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2013, 06:53 PM
    What state or country you live in? The statute of limitations could be up depending where you live
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 10, 2013, 03:42 AM
    Who told you this? It sounds like a junk debt collector trying scare tactics.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 10, 2013, 08:05 AM
    Also, over time a 1100 dollar credit card bill can easily turn into 10,000 dollars, they keep adding late fees, they keep adding interest, then they will add legal feels, and then add collection fees.

So you get statement of all charges, also anyone should veify debt before paying
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 10, 2013, 08:40 AM
    Yep, I'll bet your old debt didn't get settled at all (they were lying to you to get you to pay whatever you would) and now it's mushroomed.
    She shouldn't pay 11K and neither should you. Credit card rates are usury, and I don't even know how they get away with it. But you should pay something. Either negotiate or hire one of those 'debt resolution' companies who do it for you, but be warned that they can be quasi-scammy too. KNOW what you are getting and get it in readable writing.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2013, 08:56 AM
    Once you send them any amount of money then you cancel the statute of limitation and they can start over at trying to collect. Then all your payments are only paying on the interest. Do nothing until they actually take you to court. Its rare they ever really do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a Credit Card Protection Plan really going to pay off the outstanding redit Card b [ 5 Answers ]

Mother is 93 and has pancreatic cancer.I, the daughter am the only living beneficiary will inherit through a trust of a one million dolaar home and through TOD's about $15,000. In stocks. There is $22,000.00 in credit card debt. Will I be responsible for this credit card debt in California? My...

Owe about 30,000 in credit card debt,I am 63 yrs. I have pay plans but cannot pay any [ 1 Answers ]

Have a payment plan but i am not able to pay anymore,husband out of work.what can i do?

Best to pay an amt. To each credit card or pay two off completely [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. We have about $2,000 to use towards our credit card debt. We have several cards, all closing in on their limit. Which of the following would be best: 1. This amount will pay off two, possibly three or close to three cards (one of the cards would be for a home improvement store that...

Do I pay sell my stock, pay off my mortgage or credit card debt? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Here are my dilemmas. I own a two family home worth $925,000. I have $95K and five years left on this mortgage. This home gives me about $1,200 in income AFTER expenses are paid each month. I don't live in this home. I have $135K in a 401K and approximately $135K in stock. I have...

View more questions Search