Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sdoe2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2013, 10:55 AM
    After filing for divorce how soon can you get married??
    After Filing for divorce how so can you get married? Can you get married before it's finalized?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2013, 11:01 AM
    You can get married after the divorce is final. NO, you cannot get married while you are in the middle of a divorce because, until the divorce is final, you are still married.

It is not generally a good idea to marry immediately when you get a divorce. You should take a good year before you marry again after your divorce is final. Otherwise, you will repeat your mistakes from the first marriage.

How long a divorce takes (which I'm guessing is your next question) can range from several weeks to several years - it is entirely dependent on how cooperative you are with your spouse in terms of negotiating settlements on everything from money to child care. If you argue about everything, plan on it costing thousands of dollars and taking a year or longer. If you have very little to divide (no money, no home, no kids) and you can agree easily, you can probably finish within a couple months.
    angel1293 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2013, 01:21 PM
    Technically you can get married the very day you get your final decree
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2013, 06:46 AM
    "technically you can get married the very day you get your final decree"

This is not correct. Some States have "cooling off" waiting periods.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 6, 2013, 07:17 AM
    Some places have a 15 or 30 day period after divorce is signed by judge, may be longer in others.

But no, a divorce may go on for months or years, you can not marry till it is final and any waiting period that you location requires is done
    angel1293 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2013, 08:12 AM
    A final decree comes in the mail a month or two after you get a divorce. In order to get married you have to have proof of your divorce. I know this is right because my husband just did it. They told him he could get married the day he got the final decree
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2013, 09:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by angel1293 View Post
    a final decree comes in the mail a month or two after you get a divorce. in order to get married you have to have proof of your divorce. i know this is right because my husband just did it. they told him he could get married the day he got the final decree

Final decrees are not always mailed. They are often issued in court, in person. This is the norm where I work.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2013, 11:25 AM
    "a final decree comes in the mail a month or two after you get a divorce. in order to get married you have to have proof of your divorce. i know this is right because my husband just did it. they told him he could get married the day he got the final decree"

Angel, I'll say this as kindly as I can. You have posted incorrect information twice on the same thread. Good that someone someplace told your husband something. The question is whether the circumstances are exactly the same as those posted.

I don't think they are. Just because someone told your husband who told youj and you told "us" does not make it legally correct.

We take great pride in our answers. Many of us have years of legal training and experience. I do not think you do.

Please post your research when you answer. What someone told someone who told you is not reliable, correct legal research.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can I refile my tax from married filing seperatly to married filing jointly [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Me and my wife filed taxs returns, married filing seperatly. My wife has worked only 6 months. We would have benefitted if we have filed jointly. My question is can we refile the taxes again as married jointly. And cancel the existing filing. Look forword to your answers. ...

Urgent: what could be penalty for h1b for married filing jointly after divorce [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have been filling as married jointly past 3 yrs. I got divorce in 2008 in India and ex-wife is in India now and she doesn't have any income for 2008. I had paid one big alimony to her as one time settlement , Now I have foll questions Q1) If I file as married filing jointly for...

Married filing separately in Texas, going through divorce. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my soon to be ex and I have been separated since January 2006. He filed for divorce in September 2006. We filed joint income tax returns in 2006 and 2007. He has his own business and the Accountant is now asking me how I would like to file for 2008. I am really confused on what to do. We...

Married filing separately or Married filing jointly ? [ 1 Answers ]

I have to file my taxes for 2008. I entered data in Turbo Tax Based on Married Filing Separately, it shows huge amount as return When I put Married filing jointly, it shows very less amount. I'm married and I'm on H1. Since my wife is on H4, she can not earn any income in united states. My...

Filing status as Married Filing Jointly or Filing Separately [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in USA on L1 for the following time period: May 2006 to January 2007. August 2007 till Date. According to the substantial presence test, I completed my 183 days in US in November 2007. So during 2007 I was a dual status alien. My non-working spuose and year old...

View more questions Search