Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevegnc07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2013, 10:35 PM
    Do I have to use my 401k to pay for long term care
    My father in law is 74 and retired for 13 years,he receives about 3,000 a month in his pension,and has zero debt.My wife and I moved him in with us after medical and lack od care for himself in NY,and he has been recovering from a severe infection,etc both in a hospital,now a Rehab.(he comes home next week).He refused most P.T,and O.T and we "know" he won't do much and so do the staff at the Rehab once he is home.They feel he will end up in a long term place such as their place.He has 2 Private Insurance plans,Medicare Part B I think the pension,but Im wondering if they can take his IRA (49,000) and his 401k ($@ 148,000) at some point?My wife sold his home last yr,she has full Power of Attorney.Should we get his $$$ out and MOVE it. thank you.

Steve
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 14, 2013, 11:35 PM
    First why should they not get paid, and hiding the money is illegal, and a home sale, most long term care looks back at all sales for up to 6 years previous. So any funds will have to be accounted for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Long Term Health Care Insurance [ 5 Answers ]

What is everyone's thoughts on Long Term Health Care Ins. Insurance is always a gamble but with the cost of health care skyrocketing and the limitations of Medicare , I sometimes think having it would be a good thing. There is Medicaid but I have been in some of the facilities that cater to...

Long Term Care Insurance [ 5 Answers ]

From a financial point, who should have and who should not have Long Term Care Insurance? I am 73 yrs old, in pretty good health with very limited income. I have a Long term Care policy that costs me $128.00 per month. Maximum daily coverage is about $160. Should I keep paying on this policy...

View more questions Search