Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    toni scott Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2013, 01:43 PM
    Statute of limitations student loan debt canada
    Is there a statute of limitations on student loans whereby the government just writes them off after a period of years and the student's credit is not affected?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 27, 2013, 02:52 PM
    Sorry, no statue of limitations on student loan debt; it helps at the time but is not free. Government does not write anything off, they will collect no matter what, so be prepared to have to pay, which is only fair. It is almost an interest free loan, you were honoured in being able to get it. If you don't pay, then all of us in Canada pay the price for default.

Your credit report will be effected until the debt is gone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Canada student loan statute of limitations [ 5 Answers ]

I took out a because and canada student loan in 2000, 2001 and 2002. I need to know when it becomes statute barred and, specifically, when the government must stop seizing my tax returns and gst payments. There has never been a payment made on this account and the date of last disbursement of money...

Student loan statute of limitations [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering what the statute of limitations is for student loans in alberta? Can a creditor collect after that period? I also heard that after a certain time Period debts are wiped off your credit report. Is this true and if so how long till Your credit is cleared?

Statute of limitations - canada student loans [ 2 Answers ]

I realize that this topic has been discussed in other areas; all of which I have read. I still find no definitive answer to my question - Is there limitations as to when a student loan default can be enforced? Basically I had student loans from 1994. Which went into default. I am in Ontario...

Statute of limitations in Canada for a personal loan [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, What is the statute of limitations in Ontario, Canada for a small personal loan? For example, I lend someone $300. They disappear for 5 years and then move back into town. How long from the date of the loan do I have to claim? Lets say the loan took place on Jan 01, 1995? Thanks.

Student loan statute of limitations - NY [ 2 Answers ]

I had a student loan that I have not made a payment on for over 12 years. It did not show up on my credit reports last year when I purchased my house. Now this year, my paychecks have been garnished with no notice (that I received). Is there a statute of limitations? I was under the impression...

View more questions Search