Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 10, 2013, 08:16 AM
    Craigslist/Paypal Scam
    So I have a "mechanics special" listed on Craigslist. I got a reply to it that said something to the effect of "Is the item still available?". Pretty much right there that told me it's a possible scam as it seems that real people don't refer to cars and trucks as "items"... anyway...

I replied that it is still available and then I got a long winded response about how they want it, the price is good, blah, blah. They are out of the area and want to pay with Paypal and will then send an "agent" to pick the car up.

So yes, I've been around. I recognize that this is a scam attempt but what I want to know is how does it work? Does anyone have experience with this type of scam? They mentioned having an agent pick it up so there is not the usual shipping scam here. Is the idea that they maybe over pay me and then ask for the refund of the difference?

Really I'm just curious if anyone has any ideas on this one.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 10, 2013, 11:00 AM
    Yes, I am very familiar with that scam, although I never fell for it. They respond en masse to craigslist postings regardless of what you are selling and don't always read it. They send you a fake cashier check, usually from a foreign bank, so that your bank takes 2 - 3 weeks to find out it's fake (although a good bank will call them while you wait, or find out if the bank even exists). The check is for more than the amount you want, and they apologize for not understanding and ask you to give their 'agent' a cash refund, or send it WU, or bankwire it. There are many variations on the scam, even for roommate ads and help wanted.
    Oh and for Paypal they simply send a fake Paypal email, using the Paypal logo. This usually happens this way on eBay. I haven't seen it used on craigslist. They hope you don't look in your account.
    GaryOak Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2013, 11:18 AM
    If this fellow is offering to send someone, and you're friends with a cop, maybe you can get them arrested.
    Entomology Expert

Jan 10, 2013, 12:06 PM
    I knew about the check but have never heard about it being done with Paypal. So I guess the Paypal mail is fake and that's it.

I told the guy that I'm not an idiot and will deal cash only, face to face. He wrote back that he always deals in cash but can't as he is "away on assignment" so he needs to use Paypal of which he has "a %90 satisfaction rating". LOL... hard to believe anyone falls for this stuff.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 10, 2013, 02:26 PM
    When I listed my car on Craigslist I got the same thing, actually from several different "buyers." I would always write back stating "cash only" and they would go away.

I found better success selling my car on Autotrader - sold two that way without any scammers trying to cheat me.
    Entomology Expert

Jan 10, 2013, 02:34 PM
    I run a used car lot and one of my "advertising" venues happens to be Craigslist. I know others work better but I have sold a few using Craigslist and you can't beat the price.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 10, 2013, 03:18 PM
    Where I live, most people now put a phone number in the listing and say 'I will not respond to emails.' Since the scammers are from all over the world, they aren't going to call, and many don't have a good speaking command of English anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Campbell, Cohen (Attorneys at Law) is scam or not scam? [ 7 Answers ]

If anyone can tell my please answer me

Craigslist [ 2 Answers ]

I sold some rims and tires to a guy off Craigslist. He called me 20 min later and told me that one of the tires had a nail in it and he wants his money back. Am I obligated in any way?

Sites like craigslist? [ 4 Answers ]

Craigslist $ [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know how Craigslist makes any money?It's a free site to use so I am curiousas to how the owner makes money off it.

Paypal Scam [ 2 Answers ]

When I post things I want to sell on the internet people say they will transfer the money to why paypal account and then I send it to them. I know this is a scam, but how does it work? The money is in the account so how is it a scam?

View more questions Search