Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Samiislovexo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2012, 03:04 PM
    Belly button piercing.. I think it's infected
    Hi, I got my belly button pierced a week ago and everything was fine. The piercer told me to clean it 1 to 2 times a day in the shower with antibacterial soap. The past few days I've been noticing redness around the screw and kind of scabby. It's not oozing anything or hurting. I don't know if its infected or if its just healing.. Please help
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 23, 2012, 03:58 PM
    Quit using antibacterial soap, there is no such thing whatever it says on the package. Okay to clean it in the shower, let the water run over it, don't touch with anything but warm salt water. Apply with a cotton swab or a perfectly clean face cloth, don't use the face cloth a second time for the same purpose, always a clean one. And never touch the piercing during the day with dirty hands !

You are caring for an open wound, and any open wound on the body is always cause for concern.
    pwiincesskobrax Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2012, 07:04 PM
    Your piercing seems to be fine. The redness is normal especially because it's fresh. I too would ditch the anti-bacterial soap and stick to a saline solution such as H2Ocean which is currently working great for my belly peircing right now. The scabbing is normal because your holes are trying to heal and you are growing new skin near the holes. You're cleaning it twice a day and I'd say that's perfect because you aren't over or under cleaning it. Everything's fine, I would just use a saline solution instead of the soap because your piercing is an open wound and the ingredients in the soap contain materials that are too harsh and when constantly used will eventually irritate your piercing. Also, many soaps say that they are anti-bacterial and even those soaps don't do much good because they kill off both the good and bad bacteria needed to heal the piercing as opposed to the bad bacteria only.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does an infected belly button piercing look like [ 2 Answers ]

I've had my belly button pierced for nearly 2 months now and at the moment I'm in so much pain from my belly button its very pusy and crusty and red around and I'm unable to move it to clean it.any suggestions of better ways to clean it or help it heal?

Is my belly button piercing infected? [ 0 Answers ]

Okay so I got my belly done about a week and a half ago. I clean it like I'm supposed to with non scented anti bacterial soap in the shower and with bactine 2-4 times a day as the piercer recommended. Well its still sensitive to hit it against things and its really red no pus or bumps, just red...

Is my belly button piercing infected? [ 2 Answers ]

I've had my belly button pierced for about 2 months and I noticed its really tender around the piercing but its not a really bad pain. There is redness around it and to me it looks like a blister on one side of the top part. If you can let me know if its infected that will be great.

Is my belly button piercing infected? [ 1 Answers ]

I got my belly button pierced about 2 months ago and in the mornings I can get a little bit of pus out if it but its not yellow and there's no pain. Is it infected or just trying to get dead tissue out?

What to do if your belly button piercing is infected? [ 0 Answers ]

HELP! I have had my belly button pierced for a bit over a month, I cleaned it using H2o ocean spray because they told me to. Maybe I did overuse it.. I used it 2 times a day but I sprayed too much always. It is still not healed and seems to be starting to get a little bit infected, so I started...

View more questions Search