Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1234johnst5 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2012, 01:48 PM
    89 chevy truck won't run
    Have an 89 chevy 1500 with 350 engine ran fine yesterday is getting spark is getting gas {maybe too much gas} will run then stall if floored but black smoke not blown engine what else could it be?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 31, 2012, 01:55 PM
    Replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM)--that will likely solve the problem. Easy fix.

May 31, 2012, 06:51 PM
    Went and had icm checked it is good so it still don't start acts like too much gas

Jun 1, 2012, 03:06 AM
    89 chevy won't run had icm checked checked OK is getting fuel and spark
    Anyone have any ideas what else could be was running fine then just quit will fire but have to hold to floor to get it to do that but when fires runs like crap then quits
    Acts like getting too much gas or not enough air with fuel anyone have any ideas
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2012, 04:39 AM
    I wish I had a dollar for every ICM that tested fine on a Well's machine that didn't work. IMO, testing ICMs and coils is virtually a waste of time. Instead, I recommend replacing them every 120,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first.

The fuel is likely fine--it's the compromised ignition system (ICM), which is the problem. It's just too much fuel for a weak ignition system.

Jun 2, 2012, 03:53 AM
    Tx greasemonkey well I did have it checked out it was OK I then did some research and found out that the temp sensor would also make it dump fuel into motor changed that and truck is now running smooth also the temp sensor is what makes the truck put more fuel to engine on really cold days anyway thanks for the try just thought id let you know what was outcome

Jun 2, 2012, 03:55 AM
    Ps I also am 3:16 believer christ rules

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 97 chevy k1500 won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 97 chevy k1500 that won't start.ive replaced the computer,knock sensor,distributer cap,rotor,plugs,wires,crank sensor,checked fuel pressure,and compression.everything is good.when I bought the truck the distributer was very loose,could it be that its way out of time..

74 chevy truck will turn over but won't start. Will start with starter fluid but won't [ 1 Answers ]

My 74 chevy pickup sat over the winter and now it won't start. I was running just fine before I let it sit. It turns over but won't start. If I use starter fluid, it will start but won't stay running. I don't smell gas in the carb either. I'm thinking it's the fuel pump or the filter. Problem...

Why won't my chevy venture start [ 1 Answers ]

My venture would die while driving but start right back up. Now it won't start at all. I put a new battery in. I acts as if there is no power now at all.

Chevy truck [ 1 Answers ]

91 chevy pickup! Replaced transmission now its riding the gears before shifting??

96 chevy truck [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 96 chevy pichup with a vortec 305 and it staled on me yesterday. Well the pump is Working and it seems tto have pressure I even changed the fuel filter but it still won't start.

View more questions Search