Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sharhonda74 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2011, 11:03 PM
    Insurance coverages
    I was recently in a car accident about 2weeks ago I wasn't at fault but the car was in my dads name. The persons insurer contacted me wanted to examine the car so they could determine the settle. They gave me a rental car but they only paid for 2weeks. Well my son is a ccancer patient and I was using my parents car to get back and forth to appt.. Me and my parents made a decision to where I would bring them the car back when I came home for xmas. Well now I have no way to travel home for xmas because the car was totaled. Can I get the insurer to extend the rental?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 11, 2011, 05:11 AM
    Probably not, if they sent your parents the settlement check.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 11, 2011, 06:41 AM
    I'm a little confused by this. Generally a claims examination can be done while you wait. So there should be no need for them to hold onto the car for a claims examination. Two weeks should be enough time to get the car repaired. If you take the car to a repair shop authorized by the insurer, then if it does go over the two weeks, they should extend the rental.

So I'm not seeing what the problem is here.
    sharhonda74 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2011, 08:34 AM
    The problem is the car is totaled cannot be driven. They told me the amount for the settle and its not enough to get a new car and I have to turn the rental in on Monday end have nothing to drive
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 11, 2011, 08:50 AM
    Ahh now it makes sense. Your father could fight the value of the car. You could also try to sue the other driver, but the likelihood is you won't win. So your only other choice is to take the settlement and get as much car as it can cover. But I doubt if you will get an extension of the rental.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 11, 2011, 09:06 AM
    If they totaled the car they will not be giving it back to you. Yes the settlement would not be enough to purchase a new car but it should be close to the price of a similar vehicle like the one that was lost. Take the money and buy a used car or sue if you are dead set on fighting an insurance company that employs their own attorneys and do this everyday.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 11, 2011, 10:10 AM
    This is when you and your dad contact YOUR insurance, make sure you filed a claim with them, if you have rental car coverage on YOUR policy then they will furnish you a car till this is settled.
    Refuse any payment or check that is not enough to properly fix car, get three estimates and demand proper paymnet, go to your insurance company and get car fixed and allow your insurance to sue the other driver and his insurance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Prepaid insurance of rs15120 adjusted with current year's insurance charges [ 0 Answers ]

In tally accounts what is the journal entry of this transaction?

Can someone's private insurance sue,after my insurance settled with rentals insurer? [ 3 Answers ]

I was in a accident in 2006 in California and I was at-fault. Woman at a red light turning right began to merge as she had plenty of time and space. She then stopped for some reason, as I began to attempt to merge looking over my left shoulder and saw a still safe opening I started to go and...

Does employer continue to pay insurance while waiting for a COBRA Insurance election? [ 1 Answers ]

When an employee has been terminated from employment, how many days after termination does the employer have to pay the insurance premium on the employee while waiting for the employee to decide on COBRA?

Double yet Separate Medical Insurance Coverages [ 1 Answers ]

I have double medical insurance coverage. Primary for me is an HMO and secondary a PPO. My wife has just the opposite, PPO primary and HMO secondary. Can anyone provide me with the specifics on how I go about billing, paying, etc with this coverage. I get so many conflicting answers not sure I...

View more questions Search