Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MichelDionne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2011, 10:20 AM
    Tax info - rental house - capital expenses or current expenses?
    I own an older home that is a rental property.
    The roof was well past end of life and my tenants reported a leak so I had the roof replaced by an equivalent (tar and gravel replaced by torch-on). Is this a current or capital expense?
    Also, new tenants complained about the windows (again at or past end of life) because many of the seals were broken and almost all no longer had proper locks. I had these replaced by an equivalent (double pane by double pane, but the newer low-e rated energy efficient). What about this one, current or capital?
    Thanks for the info
    Michel
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 8, 2011, 11:46 AM
    A new roof is generally considered to be an improvement since it extends the life of the building, and hence is capitalized. The windows are less well defined - in general repairing a window or replacing with like-for-like is a current expense as it doesn't materially increase the market value of the property, even if the new ones are marginally better at energy savings. I suppose if the new windows were significantly better at energy savings the IRS could argue that they are an improvement (like adding insulation in the attic), but in my opinion the new windows would have to have a pretty significant impact on your energy use for this to stick.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deduct rental property expenses without rental income? [ 2 Answers ]

I own a condo that I used to live in but I no longer work in that city. I have been trying to rent it for almost a year but have not found a renter yet. Can I consider the condo as rental property and claim the expenses of owning it on my taxes, even though I do not have any rental income yet?...

Are expenses incurred when trying to buy a house tax-deductible if you didn't get it? [ 3 Answers ]

In 2010, I tried to buy a house - made offer, offer accepted, began full inspections - but the financing fell through and the house was not purchased after all. Are the costs of the inspections tax-deductible if the house wasn't bought in the end? I can't find any info online about the tax issues...

Rental expenses for part of the tax year [ 2 Answers ]

I moved out of my house on 10/31/2009 and converted it into rental property. I only have rental expenses (new paint, carpet and minor repairs) but no income for 2009. The house is rented starting 2/1/2010. Because I lived in the house for 10 (out of 12) months in 2009, can I deduct the expenses...

Can I claim expenses paid out of pocket to rentivate a rental house? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a second house that has been renovated in '09 for leasing. I have paid over 10k and haven't received any rent yet. Can the loss this year 09 be claimed on my taxes as a loss? Could under renting be consider a loss on my 09 taxes?

Expenses of a capital nature [ 1 Answers ]

Please give me examples of expenses of a capital nature. Thanks

View more questions Search