Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Amandurdy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2011, 05:15 PM
    I am losing my hope to find a job! What should I do?
    I have been looking for a job for couple of years.I have a diploma with honors from well-known college and my volunteering experience about two years. I have already sent tons of resumes with cover letter to hundreds of organizations. I haven't get even a simple respond.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 5, 2011, 05:27 PM

Have you watched for local job openings, even part-time ones and out of your specific area of knowledge? May I ask your general location?

You can't just mail out hundreds of resumes. You have to target and you have to network. Networking is what will get you a job. And you may have to do something not real fun or not what you're trained for at first, but at least be working and get your foot in the door.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 5, 2011, 08:29 PM

How many places are you applying to every day ? You would normally apply to a few hundred places in a month if you are really job looking.

Next are you looking for any job, not just things in your area of degree.

And this is real life, sorry but degrees with honors may mean a lot to some firms, but a degree if you were in the top 10 or in the bottom 10, if you have your degree that is about all most places care.
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Jul 5, 2011, 08:44 PM

Go to your school's career services and ask them if there are any internships available. Some internships ask for interns with completed degrees. I got the job I have now because I started at the company as an unpaid intern - and it's in my field.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2011, 09:10 PM

Don't give up keep looking , you will find something.
    Two years isn't that long.
    Maybe you need to get some help with your resume if you haven't had one response . Luck
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 5, 2011, 09:39 PM

Remember that in this economy beggars can't be choosers. You may have to start as the low man on the totem pole at places like McDonald's.

Take anything you can get at this point. There are people with master's degrees and doctorates who can't get jobs right now.

Start looking low, get a job and keep looking for something more in your field.
    annabelleh Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2011, 01:42 PM
    Monster, craiglist are very useful!
    infoguy Posts: 108, Reputation: 8

Aug 3, 2011, 05:55 PM

Perhaps the structure of your resume (or plural thereof) could be improved. Or, perhaps your are not properly addressing all the points you need to address in your resumes! May I suggest that you visit RICEP Inc. Resumes and Employment Workshops and contact them if you like what you see they are doing? They helped me out a lot with my resume!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lost Job - Losing House - Losing Relationship! [ 5 Answers ]

My b/f & I were OK until a year ago when he lost his very lucatrive job. We've used all our savings & we've maxed our cc's to no avail. We're behind on the house we live in in which he's the only one on mtg. this house has no equity. We have another house under both our names in another state...

Losing hope [ 5 Answers ]

I've posted on here a few times before and got some pretty good advice that helped me along, so I'm back on again to ask for some help. I feel like there's a "wall" being put up on my life, and I'm really, really damn depressed from it. Everything is going down hill for me and I can't stand it....

We are losing hope in our dog. [ 11 Answers ]

We rescued an 8 month year old beagle/hound mix and have had him now for two months and are losing all hope. He is to the point where he won't urinate or deficate in our presence but is still far away from being housetrained. We originally left him and our other dog in the laundry room at...

Losing hope? [ 4 Answers ]

The term nice guys finish last would fit me perfectly.. Every time I try getting close to someone, rather it be a friend or a girlfriend, it always seems to end in heartbreak or some kind of betrayal. I've become really down about everything, quit my job and now living on what few dollars I have...

View more questions Search