Apr 13, 2011, 01:06 PM
    How do I create a bootable cd?
    How do icreate a bootable cd
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Apr 14, 2011, 12:43 PM

What Operating system are you using?
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Apr 16, 2011, 05:33 PM
    When making a cd bootable, you have to add a boot image to the disk where the burning app asks for it. Most apps have generic boot loaders but some installs need a special one. When making XP system files bootable, you need an image file "Microsoft Corporation.img". This image file is only 2kb in size but it tells the dos loader what to do to make the XP install cd run. If you were to download this tiny image file and changed the file extension from .img to .txt and opened it up with notepad, you would see mostly machine language and a few error codes like this:

ECDBOOT: Cannot boot from CD - Code: 0
    CDBOOT: Couldn't find NTLDR
    CDBOOT: Memory overflow error
    SETUPLDR.BINBOOTFIX.BINI386

Apr 16, 2011, 05:34 PM
    Comment on Appzalien's post
    This tiny file when imported into a burner like Nero or even into a program like Ultraiso will create a bootable cd from a data cd set. With Ultraiso it would have a generic loader at hand but would have a place for you to point to your own for a specific boot process.

Apr 16, 2011, 05:43 PM
    Comment on Appzalien's post
    Also be aware there is a big difference between a bootable disk and an autorun disk. If you just want a disk to automatically start the setup.exe of a program from within windows (boot disks work from outside in DOS) you would add an autorun inf file with instructions inside on where to start the install. Here's a typical autorun inf:

[autorun]
    open=Setup.exe
    icon=Setup.exe

Added to notepad, and then changing the extension from txt to inf and adding to the root of the disk (Root means not inside any folder , it has to appear directly under the disk title name) this auto run would look for the file setup.exe in the same first part of the directory. If the actual setup.exe is in a folder the path mus be included:

[autorun]
    open=Setup\Install bin\Setup.exe
    icon=Setup\Install bin\Setup.exe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get a copy of the Ultimate Bootable CD? [ 1 Answers ]

I found a link to build the UBCD but it won't work because I only have a "Restore" CD. The build for the UBCD requires an XP CD. Can someone help?

Create bootable usb [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to create my usb bootable in Linux but I can't. How do I do it?

Create a bootable Windows XP Professional DVD [ 1 Answers ]

I have been looking long to find a way to create a bootable Windows XP Professional DVD. Can any one tell me how to do it or any link where I can find a way to solve my problem

How do I create a bootable cd? [ 7 Answers ]

My friend has had problems reloading windows xp after formating, missing files and such. I have tried some other solutions and come to the conclusion he had a bad disk. Now somewhere or somehow he got a hold of the files or an XP disk , I'm really not sure, but he asked if I knew how to make a...

View more questions Search