Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tim11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2007, 10:16 AM
    I am trying to connect 2 computers with a crossover
    I have 2 laptops and I need to transfer files from 1 to the other but my burner will not work so I am trying to connect them via crossover cable but when I connect it nothing happens! After a few minutes the lan connection will come up saying limited or no connection. Could somebody send me a step by step guide for setting up this type of connection please!! I need to reboot my laptop but can't till I get this sorted! :mad:
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jan 17, 2007, 04:31 AM
    Actually if you received a message that you have limited connectivity then basically you CAN talk to the other computer. If you had no link at all then you get nothing. If you had Link then both computers will try to negotiate an IP address via DHCP. Since neither computer is a DHCP server they sit there and wait a while waiting for an IP. After some period both computers give up and then you get the message about limited connectivity. Now at this point what happens is that each computer will assign themselves an IP address in a reserved IP address block that is standard. Find out what that IP is for both computers and you can then talk with the other computer using that IP address. You can do START -> RUN -> type cmd [ENTER]. Then type ipconfig. This will display the IP addresses that each computer chose for itself. Both of those IP's might seem like they don't belong to the same subnet but in fact they do as they are chosen out of a predetermined IP address range (169.254.*.*) that is standard for when DHCP is not available. Each computer will automatically and at random pick an address anywhere from 169.254.1.0 through 169.254.254.255. The subnet mask used is 255.255.0.0 which means that the entire address range above is part of the same subnet.

The easiest thing to do if you want to avoid the wait is to assign each computer a temporary static IP address (don't assign a gateway) from any subnet you want (say 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2). This will avoid the "limited connectivity" message and get you connected slighter more quick.

Good luck.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 17, 2007, 07:49 AM
    Check out Direct Cable Connection in Windows Help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to connect two computers? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Everybody.. I'm new to computers.. n I've got two computers at home with windows xp running on them. I would like to know how to connect them to each other. I've got no NIC card and no cross over cable. Let me know the things I need them to connect. And secondly if I would like to connect them...

I need to connect my 2 home computers [ 23 Answers ]

On one internet connection. I am afraid to go wireless, because one computer is on the second floor of the house and the other in the basement game room. I want to know if a router (and the most cost effective one to get) would work with our computers. The basement computer has Windows 98 and...

Connect 2 computers to burn a dvd... [ 2 Answers ]

I am attempting to connect 2 computers to burn a dvd. I think(? ) w/ a crossover cable I can figure out how to make the connection. Why am I doing this you ask... PC1 (running Me) has the dvd burner & software but is FAT32. Figured this out when the downloading 6.1GB .img got error message at...

How to connect two computers together by a wireless network [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... I am new in Communication and networking so please your answer must be in details... My computer in the living room with windows XP home edition.. the other computer with windows 2000 with servie pack 4 in my kids bed room.. my wirelss router is linksys connected to my computers and...

Backup laptop to desktop using crossover cable [ 2 Answers ]

I want to backup the hard drive on my laptop to the hard drive on my desktop. I have a crossover cable and ethernet ports in each computer. What settings do I need to setup?

View more questions Search