Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zoleka Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2010, 11:48 PM
    How do I deal with this?
    The last time I saw my boyfriend was the 5th of March 2010, he left to pick up his car in PE. We were fine, happy, had plans even in PE he was happy with his friends but on his way back 17 March 2010 he stopped the car jumped over the bridge " Van Stadens" without saying a word. I miss him a lot. I still have his picture in my mind. How do I cope? Please help me.
    chocodrip Posts: 66, Reputation: 4

Mar 31, 2010, 04:57 AM

First of let me tell you I'm very sorry for your loss, it takes a long time to get over it. The wound will heal with time but the scars always remain. Think of all the happy memories you shared with him.

Grief is a natural response to loss. It’s the emotional suffering you feel when something or someone you love is taken away. You may associate grief with the death of a loved one – and this type of loss does often cause the most intense grief.

The single most important factor in healing from loss is having the support of other people. Even if you aren’t comfortable talking about your feelings under normal circumstances, it’s important to express them when you’re grieving. Sharing your loss makes the burden of grief easier to carry. Wherever the support comes from, accept it and do not grieve alone. Connecting to others will help you heal.

Finding support after a loss
    Turn to friends and family members – Now is the time to lean on the people who care about you, even if you take pride in being strong and self-sufficient. Draw loved ones close, rather than avoiding them, and accept the assistance that’s offered. Oftentimes, people want to help but don’t know how, so tell them what you need – whether it’s a shoulder to cry on or help with funeral arrangements.

Draw comfort from your faith – If you follow a religious tradition, embrace the comfort its mourning rituals can provide. Spiritual activities that are meaningful to you – such as praying, meditating, or going to church – can offer solace. If you’re questioning your faith in the wake of the loss, talk to a clergy member or others in your religious community.

Join a support group – Grief can feel very lonely, even when you have loved ones around. Sharing your sorrow with others who have experienced similar losses can help. To find a bereavement support group in your area, contact local hospitals, hospices, funeral homes, and counseling centers.

Talk to a therapist or grief counselor – If your grief feels like too much to bear, call a mental health professional with experience in grief counseling. An experienced therapist can help you work through intense emotions and overcome obstacles to your grieving.

How to support a grieving person
    If someone you care about has suffered a loss, you can help them heal by asking about their feelings, spending time just being with them, and listening when they want to talk.

Read: Helping and Supporting Someone Who Is Grieving

Coping with grief and loss tip 2: Take care of yourself
    When you’re grieving, it’s more important than ever to take care of yourself. The stress of a major loss can quickly deplete your energy and emotional reserves. Looking after your physical and emotional needs will help you get through this difficult time.

Face your feelings. You can try to suppress your grief, but you can’t avoid it forever. In order to heal, you have to acknowledge the pain. Trying to avoid feelings of sadness and loss only prolongs the grieving process. Unresolved grief can also lead to complications such as depression, anxiety, substance abuse, and health problems.

Express your feelings in a tangible or creative way. Write about your loss in a journal. If you’ve lost a loved one, write a letter saying the things you never got to say; make a scrapbook or photo album celebrating the person’s life; or get involved in a cause or organization that was important to him or her.

Look after your physical health. The mind and body are connected. When you feel good physically, you’ll also feel better emotionally. Combat stress and fatigue by getting enough sleep, eating right, and exercising. Don’t use alcohol or drugs to numb the pain of grief or lift your mood artificially.

Don’t let anyone tell you how to feel, and don’t tell yourself how to feel either. Your grief is your own, and no one else can tell you when it’s time to “move on” or “get over it.” Let yourself feel whatever you feel without embarrassment or judgment. It’s okay to be angry, to yell at the heavens, to cry or not to cry. It’s also okay to laugh, to find moments of joy, and to let go when you’re ready.

Plan ahead for grief “triggers”. Anniversaries, holidays, and milestones can reawaken memories and feelings. Be prepared for an emotional wallop, and know that it’s completely normal. If you’re sharing a holiday or lifecycle event with other relatives, talk to them ahead of time about their expectations and agree on strategies to honor the person you loved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I think I ACTUALLY like someone, and I can't deal. [ 16 Answers ]

Hi, this isn't Barbiechick, its her friend on her account, anyway... I am veryconfused! So I haven't liked a boy since two years ago, I have had crushes, but nothing like LIKING, but today this kid I now LIKE started flirting with all my friends except me and it made me feel like crap, today I...

How to deal with someone like this? [ 1 Answers ]

Here we go may be a little long. First let me say what is good about the gf/bf. They are always respectful to your face, always treats you with utmost kindness, very loving and able to show affection, will defend you and not allow any unkind word to you. Willing to drop anything when you call. ...

What's the Deal? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been regular since I have been off the pill as of march and September was when I had my last period. It is now October, about a week ago for about a total of 5 minutes I bleed a little and that was it. In my life since puberty, I have had irregular periods till 7 years ago I have been on...

How can I deal with this ? [ 3 Answers ]

-i'm 23 years old , kind of been hanging out a 15 yr ( will b 16 in 3 days ) girl ( we work together).. -can it be a big problem ? We went to the movies , her parents know. I just want to know if it's OK to hang out with an underage girl .. -i have no intention to go out with her or anything (...

View more questions Search