Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigfeet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2010, 03:10 PM
    Possible HIPAA violation in the workplace
    I work at a hospital. I had some physical therapy at the hospital in which I work, and the therapist did a poor job, exacerbating a different physical problem I had, causing me a great deal of pain despite my warnings about the situation. I got upset and said some negative things to the therapist. When I had my annual review a few days later (by my boss's boss), I was called to task about having hurt this therapists feelings and lectured about how important it was to be nice to everyone, etc. I was told to apologize to her, which I did.

I feel this was a violation of my HIPAA rights; the incident happened as a patient, and I was reprimanded as an employee. What are my options here? Do I have cause for a civil suit against this employer? Thank you.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 10, 2010, 03:13 PM
    If you work in a hospital then you should know that HIPAA only protects your medical condition/treatment. You were disrespectful to a fellow employee, this is not covered by HIPAA.

Also, HIPAA does not provide payouts for the person damaged, it only warns, or in some cases, fines the facility or employee.

HIPAA and civil suits are two totally different animals.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 10, 2010, 08:00 PM

And there can not really be a civil suit if what he said was true. And HIPAA would only apply if they gave out medial info.
    But in this case the hospital admin would be able to view any medical records in the hospital. So even giving that would most likely not be covered

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa or privacy in the workplace violation? [ 11 Answers ]

I was diagnosed with a condition, and in the process of getting "work" to approve my time off, some fellow managers had lets others know of my condition, by sharing what and why I was out! This had been expressly stated that I did NOT want anyone to know! So needless to say, it is out all over the...

HIPPA violation in the workplace [ 1 Answers ]

In September of 2008 I entered a facility for substance abuse. Disability papers were faxed to my employer for verification. Someone in the office took it upon themselves to take the address where I was and write to me there (letter was sent "return to sender" by the facility), another letter was...

HIPAA violation [ 1 Answers ]

An employee at Wakefern (Shoprite) is using her computer to look up past medical information and telling others about me and my ex-boyfriends illnesses. This is extremely embarrassing to us and is violating HIPAA laws. What can be done to solve this problem?

HIPPA Violation? In the workplace [ 15 Answers ]

I was injured at home and have been under doctors care for the last three weeks. I have since been put on work restrictions at my job (which I must point out is a part-time job). I taped the restriction form (from my doctor, the original copy) to my bosses desk. There was only one worker that...

HIPAA in the workplace [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I read through all the archives but I still have a specific question that I need answered. I work for a medical billing department. We are in cubicals and the woman next to me has had a serious condition in the past that she has openly discussed with other people. She has recently had a...

View more questions Search