Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeevan78 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2010, 12:36 PM
    Communication skills
    Hi, I'm working in a company. I do good work and at the same time I'm unable to speak fluently with others in English because I'm getting fear at that time. Moreover I feel English as my second language and whenever I try to speak, I think it is not my mother tongue. Some people told me to read newspaper daily, I tried sometime. Is any one (respected person) can tell me how to improve my communication skills? Will the reading improve my communication skills? Or do I need to do something else other than this. Kindly help me with my question. Thanks.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2010, 12:46 PM

Reading may help some. But not necessarily. I can read way more spanish than I can speak. I can even understand some spanish. For the life of me, I can't spit out more than a few words of it here or there though. Sounds like your problem might have something to do with your confidence. You mentioned you have a fear. The best way to become better at speaking english is just to keep practicing. You don't have to just practice at work. Talk to the cashiers when you go shopping. When you're by yourself at home, talk out loud to yourself (or if you don't mind the funny looks you'll get, talk to yourself in public even).
    pooja s27 Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Mar 10, 2010, 01:59 AM

Hi Jeevan,

I have seen most of my colleagues having same prolem as you do, reading will help you definitely to understand but when you have to communicate you have to speak that language, start interacting with friends in english that your native language, even at office as I do work in a similar situation we tend to speak in our native languages, so try to speak up in english at office, suggest your colleagues to correct you in case if have spoken something incorrectly and sure you will improve your english, only thing it requires practice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How important would communication skills be in a marriage ? [ 8 Answers ]

I am 29 years of age and quite attractive as well. I belong to a well to do family.My parents want me to marry this guy who is reasonably well settled and stuff. He is good looking too but has really poor communication skills.This is a total turn off for me as I give a lot of importance to...

Having good people/communication skills [ 1 Answers ]

Need a good reference for developing and maintaining these skills.

Communication Skills [ 1 Answers ]

Which type of communication plays most important part in raising motivation level of employees working in an organization? Your answer must comprise of arguments with examples

How can one improve communication skills? [ 14 Answers ]

How can one improve their communication and written skills?

View more questions Search