Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caitie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2010, 06:56 AM
    I miss my mum so very much, and would like some of my mates to realise this...
    I lost my mum just over three months ago. I miss her, so much , there are no words... I'm finding it really hard because I feel like I can't remember her voice any more. It feels like years since I've seen her. She despised getting her picture taken so therefore the photos are scarce. What I'm finding very difficult is that every one in my life goes on about their daily lives. Whingeing about what a hard day they've all had, the headache another one has, the relationship whoes of another and the list goes on and on and on. Don't they even think for one minute that maybe I couldn't care less about some of the mindless banter and say "How have ya been?" or even "You must've had a hard couple of months, "would you like to talk about anything?"
    But after about 2 months this is how it's been, a little lonely and feeling a tad friendless...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 16, 2010, 07:13 AM
    I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my father almost 3 years ago, so I can relate to your pain.

Have any of your "mates" lost loved ones? If not, they can't relate to your pain. They don't know how you feel and after 3 months their lives have gone on while yours has become stagnant (not exactly the right word), living in the grief of your loss.

The grieving process is different for everyone. Some rebound quite quickly, while others take a while. Personally, for me, my grieving process was over the day my father died. He was ill for quite a while and his death was a blessing to him as he was suffering. I had many months to prepare for his death.

Remember that your mum was not their mum, they don't understand what you are going through. This also may be their way of bringing you back to the life of the living.

Have you considered joining a support group?
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2010, 07:16 AM

Oh, sweetie, I understand. Sometimes when people around me complain about little things in life, I think, "You don't even know what pain is!" I lost my Dad six years ago to cancer.

No one really understands unless they've been through the loss of a loved one... and I know that is something you'd never even dream to wish upon your friends, but it is frustrating.

I had to come to the point where in response to their "how are you today" questions, "You know, I'm having a rough go of it. Can you just sit with me and let me talk about my Dad?" More often than not, my friends were GLAD to help and were able to help me through the sad times.

I still have them a lot. AMHD has been a comfort to me in those times; having people to listen helps a great deal. So, if you ever need to talk, I'm here... as are so many other honest, amazing people who have felt the heart-wrenching loss of losing a parent.

I know that you're lonely and I know that your heart physically hurts when you think of her... but you will make it. You will grow up and be a testament to her greatness and love.

I recommend starting a journal of all the things that you remember of your Mom. I have one for my Dad - sometimes I would just sit and write things like "Remember how he took you to McDonald's as a little girl and bought you an Egg McMuffin while he drank his coffee." or, "Remember how we would drive for hours and listen to the Beatles." Little things like that - those reminders will help you when you feel sad. YOu'll be able to sit and read your memories and smile.

We're here for you. :)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2010, 10:25 AM

I was widowed two years ago - I've talked to other people who have also suffered losses and none of us have grieved the same. It's a process and there is no right way or wrong way to grieve.

I found that people didn't ask me how I was doing because it was obvious that I was having a difficult time or they didn't know what to say. The people I truly love listened to me - and there were times when I asked people to please just listen. Have you, without being critical or accusatory, asked your friends to simply sit down with you and listen? Very possibly they don't want to upset you so they don't bring up the subject.

I also found that I was every woman's nightmare - if my husband died, maybe theirs could, too? Your friends may be having those very same feelings and thoughts.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Time really does help. I know everyone says that and you probably don't believe it (I didn't believe it either) but time does make a difference.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2010, 10:52 PM
    I've had quite a few people die in my life (not my mother yet 'tho) and I can honestly say that I responded differently to each of them.

It's so hard when you feel that deep void - the awareness of the absence of the other person, and you miss them so much.

The thing is, life does go on for you and for other people. After a few months they go back to their normal lives, but you still have your life minus your mother.

Your friends can't read you mind. They won't know how you feel unless you tell them and ask for their support. Perhaps your friends think you're OK or they are too busy with their own lives.

So don't be shy - let them know, tell them you feel awful and talk about how you're feeling. I'm sure they will be happy to give you comfort and support - all you need to do is ask.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does he realise what he is doing to me? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been in a relationship with my boyfriend now for 9months. Everything was great between us until about 5months into it, when the day came where he told me that he had cheated on me with his ex girlfriend. It was only a one night stand, a totally sober one. And he apologised and begged me to...

Is it really possible for people to realise that they love someone? [ 18 Answers ]

OK so me and my ex have had a crazy up and down rollercoaster of a year, spliting up a number of times, she even slept with my bets mate a week after we split up the last time because he fed her apack of les about me cheating on her etc. anyway, recently I've been doing very well for myself,...

I didn't realise how much I loved him until it was too late [ 20 Answers ]

I've been an idiot. I went out with a guy for 2 1/2 years and I split up with him after Christmas. A few days ago I realised how much I love him and sent a long message telling him so. Except he now has a new girlfriend which I didn't know about. The weirdest thing is, *please note I am NOT...

Miss my mum [ 8 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I lost my mum in November after her being ill for a long time... I never thought I could lose her, and although she is now in peace I miss her so much and can't help thinking about what if? I spent a long painful two and a half weeks in hospital with her, until she just died... I was...

View more questions Search