Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bbgrell77 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2010, 02:24 PM
    240V 20 amp circuit breaker
    I'm installing 240 volt in-floor heating mats. The amperage draw is 21 amps. I intended to connect them to a 2-pole, 240 volt, 20 amp breaker. My thought was that you have two legs of 20 amp power (40 amps total). Is this correct of how the 240 volt breakers work?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2010, 02:27 PM

Its 20 Amps total, you will need #10's and a 2 pole, 30 amp breaker.

Jan 11, 2010, 02:31 PM

I was afraid of that. I think I will run two circuits since I already have a lot of 12/3 wire. The mats are in different rooms anyway. Thanks
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2010, 02:37 PM

For reference, since it's space heating, you multiple the current of the heaters by 1.2 and size up to next available breaker size, hence 30 A.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2010, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bbgrell77 View Post
    I was afraid of that. I think I will run two circuits since I already have a lot of 12/3 wire. The mats are in different rooms anyway. Thanks
    How much draw and what volts for 1 heater?

Jan 11, 2010, 02:53 PM

The amperage draw depends on the size of the mat. The largest one will pull 15 amps. The remaining ones are smaller and pull 6 amps combined. I'll split them into two 20 amp services which should work fine. Thanks for your input...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theory of vacuum Circuit Breaker & sf6 circuit breaker [ 15 Answers ]

I want to know about the basic Theory of vacuum Circuit Breaker & sf6 circuit breaker

What circuit breaker should I use for a 240V 1.6 amps [ 4 Answers ]

What circuit breaker should I use for a 240V 1.6 amps

Circuit breaker with "10kA 120/240v~" and a yellow D [ 6 Answers ]

I just bought a old place with very poor upkeep. The circuit breakers weren't labeled at all. I went To label all of them and was able to determine all Except for 2 that don't appear to go to anything. Those 2 look different than the rest and I was Wondering what they might be for. They...

Replacing Circuit Breaker with Higher AMP Breaker [ 8 Answers ]

Excuse me, I did look at the code book as is suggested in your Sticky. The NFPA may answer this question, but I am not knowledgeable enough to recognize it: Our offices are upstairs in an older (renovated home) building with modern wiring. We have 4 computers, 3 printers, and miscellaneous with...

View more questions Search