Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zebrof Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 03:01 AM
    What happens to a mortgage when a person dies
    What happens to a mortgage when a person dies intestate with no life insurance to cover the outstanding debt. Does the account get frozen or does it continue to accrue interest
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2009, 04:18 AM

There are quite a number of points to be covered to answer your question:-

1) The account gets frozen.
    2) No further interest is charged.
    3) The bank usually holds the deeds to the property.
    4) They usually foreclose.
    5) The bank then sells the property and recover what is owing.
    6) Any balance of moneys go to the estate.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 29, 2009, 06:02 AM

The loan is not frozen. At least not until the lender receives notice of the death of the loan holder.

If there is no heir, then this may not happen for a while. When payments stop, the lender will attempt to contact the home owner. Eventually they will foreclose. But that can take several months. Interest and late charges will continue to accrue.

May I ask what you ask the question?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding person to deed/mortgage, hurt my score? [ 4 Answers ]

I want to add my girlfriend to my deed/mortgage of my house and have a basic idea on how to do it based on researching the matter. My question here is this: She has poor credit and owes medical bills. If I add her to my deed/mortgage can the collectors come after me or my house? I worked hard...

Transfer my mortgage to another person [ 3 Answers ]

I live in CA and have a property bought for 250K. I put down 50K. My loan is fully amortised and I am paying payment of 1330/month + taxes etc. I want to move to another place and one of my family member wants to buy the property. They do not have enough down to buy it but they can give me 20K down...

Other law--Any time a person asks this of another person, it must be respected. If I [ 1 Answers ]

Any time a person asks this of another person, it must be respected. If it is not, legal action can be taken against the person who is contacting someone who doesn't want to be contacted. I that true?? Panda1969

View more questions Search