Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 03:08 AM
    Roses. What should I do
    I've got a nice rose bush (not sure what kind) well it was nice had good sized flowers and nice folage. This past two years its kindof gone wild on me.. I'm worried about pruining it.. since I've never pruned a rosebush before I don't know where to go about it or how to. I also was wondering what kind of fertalizer to use.. I believe I'm in either zone 4 or 5... (I think its zone four but I'll have to check again)
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2009, 02:06 PM
    I started to answer, but realized I didn't have the time to go into detail:(
    I will be back later, it really isn't that hard, just need to do it in steps:)

EDIT.. Are you able to post a picture? Showing the bottom and as much of the rose as possible? Maybe one semi close up of the bottom and then of the whole bush? If not I think it will be OK.
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2009, 05:02 AM

LOL... don't you just hate it when there's not enough time.. JD.. yes I can take picturess... I'll get them the next time I take the dog out
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 08:00 AM

OK I meant to take pics but ended up going to watch the DH's uncle shoot off 300 dollars worth of fireworks.. took pics of that then camera died... going to take some pics today if I can remember to charge my camera
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Jul 20, 2009, 06:27 PM
    :( ROSES, WHAT SHOULD i DO :(

Have a...............

*C*O*N*T*E*S*T*

You have until October 28th 2009 to topiary
    your rose bush into a Halloween :) caricature :) of your choice. :eek:

Me, I'm gonna do BB, although he don't know it yet.
    Dja ever see a tom dressed in drag?

Judging by pix will take place on this thread that evening
    so we're free for Saturday night.............BOO!....:cool:

WINNER WILL BE DETERMINED BY POST VOTING
    eddie.....you know how to count?

Anyone can enter
    submit as many entries as you like.

Void where prohibited...

Wadaya say?

Ready... Set... You say go... no you say go... naa... I don't wanna say go... you say it
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 03:32 AM

I do think the neighbours who live here wouldn't like that very much... but I think it would be fun. I might do it if they agree to let me do it.. it's their garden just as much as mine as I see it since they buy things for it too. Awww I want to do it.. mind you I don't think I'm very good at shaping a bush or shrub because I couldn't even prune it proper

Jul 21, 2009, 04:05 AM
    "O"... I, thought it was your bush. :o
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 05:44 AM

Well it is mine but they take care of it too.. or they are supposed to and they "said" they were going to buy another one to put beside it that's how it turned into our bush instead of mine yet the new one has never been bought lol.. plus now that I think about it I won't be around in oct since I have college so I couldn't do it to begin with

Jul 21, 2009, 06:49 AM
    "O"... okay...

I was going to send you these links, before I went off on a tangent 'bout the "contest". :rolleyes:

This is what I use:
    Bayer Advanced 3-in-1 Insect, Disease & Mite Control Concentrate

The closest to you is a wally mart at:
    379 SOUTH STREET
    CALAIS, ME 4619
    207 454 8178
    153.7 miles from St. John's

Self-explanatory:
    Rose Care Basics - Bayer Advanced
    Fertilizing Roses - Bayer Advanced

Shame 'bout the contest, it would have been glorious :D

K
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 07:40 AM

I do agree it would be glorious.. but you never know they might let me play with the trees at the school and I could maybe make something there :D you never know I can be quite convincing thanks for the links
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 03:52 PM
    Trim that sucker and I do mean sucker..
    Sit down on the ground in front with loppers or shears.
    Anything that looks like it is coming from under the root ball, cut off. They are Suckers. They usually have 7 leaves instead of 5 and are WAY more thorny than other shoots. They also most times have no off shoots unless it has been years.

Start with that, since I don't have a picture:rolleyes: That's the best advice I can give now. Next week I will give you the next step.

Don't forget to remove everything you have cut off, in case of decease.:eek:
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 04:09 PM

I know.. I keep getting distracted from taking pictures lol... will do *gets post-it note out*
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2009, 05:32 PM
    I'm about to give you the second step. Have you finished the first one yet?:rolleyes:
    EDIT: OK sorry it's only been 2 days, I said a week.
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2009, 04:14 AM

I.. I... think I'm going to buy a new rose bush. *cries* the gravel truck backed over mine when we were not home (they were early) so now I have no bush at all... they sure didn't like that I yacked at them for running over it but they (the company, the driver called the boss once he realized he drove over it and ruined it) said they will be stopping by today to give me some money to buy a new rose bush since they ruined it... So its Dug up, one little bit of it survived and since I'm going to get a new one the next door neighbour asked if they could try and root that one piece (its got a little root on it but not much) and if it survives she's going to plant it. So I guess now this thread has turned into a what should I do to keep my roses in good shape thread...

*looks out at the empty spot where the rose bush is* hmmm what kind of roses should I get.. or should I go with another kind of plant?

Jul 24, 2009, 06:03 AM
    Well... First you need to buy some of that ORANGE Construction Fence, and build a perimeter fence around your new planting site.

Eddie can get you a deal on warning lights an traffic flags at harbor freight :rolleyes:

Seriously... Don't let them get away with damages. Be nice, But Firm. Go to your local nursery and price a reasonable 3' rose bush, and if their idea of damages doesn't meet the price of the bush, call the president of the hauler and tell him so.

If the remaining part of bush hasn't been smashed too bad it should rebound.
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2009, 06:53 AM

I have half a roll of orange construction fence left over from my quick repair of someone driving through my gate without opening it last year so I can use that. They just called me and asked if 150.00 was OK. Said I would get back to them.
    LOL warning lights and traffic flags :D I've got a flood light somewhere here I could use :D hehe

. I'm good at nice but firm :D I'm going to the nursery this afternoon to price out a nice bush. Thanks I was wondering what size bush I should look at. They have some small like really small rose bushes.. maybe a few inches tall. Some real big ones for transplanting and some nice ones around 3' high.. there are pink, red and white roses.. the last ones I had were pink.. thinking of white or red this time maybe. :D

We looked through the whole bush and picked out the nicest part for her. Its pretty whole, not crunched too bad she's a flower lover too :D lol

OOO have to say this. My wildlife and forestry conservation course diploma has come in the mail.. finally. Along with my transcripts

Jul 24, 2009, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by binx44 View Post
    i have half a roll of orange construction fence left over from my quick repair of someone driving through my gate without opening it last year so i can use that. They just called me and asked if 150.00 was ok. said i would get back to them.
    I would say 150 is very reasonable for one bush. Sounds like they added labor and mental anguish too
    LOL warning lights and traffic flags :D i've got a flood light somewhere here i could use :D hehe . i'm good at nice but firm :D I'm going to the nursery this afternoon to price out a nice bush. thanks i was wondering what size bush i should look at. they have some small like really small rose bushes.. maybe a few inches tall. some real big ones for transplanting and some nice ones around 3' high.. there are pink, red and white roses.. the last ones i had were pink.. thinking of white or red this time maybe. :D
    Still check at the nursery and see what 150 would cover, maybe you could get one of each.
    We looked through the whole bush and picked out the nicest part for her. its pretty whole, not crunched too bad shes a flower lover too :D lol
    With the two of you cooing over it I'm sure it'll make it.
    OOO have to say this. my wildlife and forestry conservation course diploma has come in the mail.. finally. along with my transcripts
    !*!*! Hip! Hip! Hooray!*!*!

I gotta get started on nftb........Eddie start 'nother pot o' coffee.....

K
    tigerlily2782 Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Jul 24, 2009, 08:55 AM

It doesn't really matter where you cut but what you cut off if you put it in water you can later plant a new rose bush in another spot
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2009, 09:05 AM

K. your right. I can get two kinds of roses with it :D just got home... they said if I wanted them to they would be willing to pick the rose bushes up if I put them on hold at the nursery. This is the first time I've ever seen a company be so good with repaying for damages. I told them its no problem for me to pick them up myself and they will be by at 3 with the money (cash they said) the boss is personally dropping it off.
    LOL k. yes both of us are cooing over it lol.. how else to bring back something :D LOVE TLC and plenty of nice pretty dirt lol
    Will be waiting for the nftb :D

Tigerlilly. Why thank you very much. Welcome to the forum

Jul 24, 2009, 09:59 AM
    K. your right. i can get two kinds of roses with it :D just got home ... they said if i wanted them to they would be willing to pick the rose bushes up if i put them on hold at the nursery. This is the first time i've ever seen a company be so good with repaying for damages. i told them its no problem for me to pick them up my self and they will be by at 3 with the money (cash they said) the boss is personally dropping it off.
    He wants to see the damage personally... If the ruts are deep enough see if he'll add a load of dirt to the bill.
    Don't let him rile you, just because he's a prez. He puts his pants on, one leg at a time, just like you do.
    LOL k. yes both of us are cooing over it lol.. how else to bring back something :D LOVE TLC and plenty of nice pretty dirt lol
    XoXoXoXoXoXo
    will be waiting for the nftb :D

Tigerlilly. why thank you very much. welcome to the forum
    Interruptions!....Interuptions!........I'm workin' on it!.....Eddie more coffee!!!
    Yes, welcome TL

K

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Planting roses [ 2 Answers ]

:) I have a rose bush that I did not get planted in the ground. It is now the end of October. I live in northern Ohio.. Can I store this plant. If so were is the best place? Do I have to keep it in doors? Thank you for any help.

How to make roses [ 2 Answers ]

Hey there, how do u make roses with numbers? You know they make different things with numbers and alphabets like a girl, a car and different stuffs. How do u do that? Please help!

Don Juan Roses [ 1 Answers ]

I have Don Juan Climbing Roses, my problem is: Some of them blooms while others just have green leaves. Some bush may have only one rose on. What do I need to do?

I ignored his calls. He sent me roses [ 77 Answers ]

Hi everyone, My ex left me a little over a month ago and I found out he was seeing this sluttish girl. Well I found out last week he moved in with her about 3-4 weeks ago. 2 days ago he started calling me. I didn't answer the phone so today I got a dozen roses delivered and on the card it read, I'm...

Roses [ 1 Answers ]

How far below the flower do I deadhead the rose?

View more questions Search