Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    12bestill12 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2009, 08:17 PM
    Brand new job, vulgar langauage, racial slurs, unbelievable
    I started a new job Tuesday, and I wasn't there for 30 min. when the person training me said to a co-worker "bunch of s--t", then within the hour she said the F word. Before noon she called a coworker "B---h" (to her face) just in joking way, ha ha... they both laughed it off... then after speaking with a client on the phone she hung up and called him "son of a "...

She ask me to go to lunch, so she could show me my assigned sales territory. As she drove, she pointed to a business and said, "you can have that place because he is an -ss, he is a blue-gum married to a white woman, that's his problem".

o.k. that was day 1.

On Wed, she called a coworker "A-S" just in a joking way, ha ha... in front of the HR person, (whose worked there 23 yrs) we were discussing a training session that would address racial issues, and she blurts out "if you're a dot head, you're a dot head"... the HR person covered her ears and said, "oh, I can't hear this" and walked out...

Later, same day, she is talking to a client on the phone, she puts him on hold, SLAMS the phone down and screams, "cock sucker"... walks out, comes back, gives him info, and hangs up by SLAMMING the phone back down. It scared me so much I literally jumped in my chair. I went home with my neck hurting and my back in knots... totally stressed.

Day 3... before 11am... we found a billing error that the employee I replaced had made, and she SCREAMS, "that stupid son of a B--ch"...
    Before noon, I told her I had a headache and was going to lunch. I left and did not go back.

I called the General Manager... the person that hired me... I told him the whole story and that I have never encountered anything like this in my life. I told him I thought the vulgar language and racial slurs creates a hostile work environment, and I was literally sick about the whole situation. I told him my head was hurting, I felt sick, and I was not coming back to work that day. I went on to say I would think about the situation over the weekend, I really did not know what to say or do.

He was pretty UNRESPONSIVE... at first he said something about we all cuss sometimes, blah, blah, and when I continued to tell him about all that had happened, he just said, "oh, oh, oh dear"... he sounded pretty distraught, but didn't say anything really.

I don't know what to do.

Please help. I was really looking forward to this job. I am so shocked and truly do not know what to do. Should I just quit?? Or go back next week?

I don't know if the other employees are this way, or if this woman is just out of control, and the new GM (5 mts) doesn't know what to do, because she is the ONLY sales rep he has... they have had 4 others in 2 yrs... obviously there is a problem. He is caught between a rock and hard place... but that's not my problem... there is a corporate office out of state that CANNOT KNOW this is happening in this small town...

What do you think? Thanks everyone.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2009, 08:35 PM

It is in the general managers hands on how he wants to handle it now that you have reported her. Even if he does have a talk with her or even fire her and you go back you are going to have to face them and they may not like that you reported her. Some times some work places KNOW what is going on and it is like there is an elephant in the room and they sweep it under the rug, To them this is her 'normal' behavior and they have just learned to accept it as 'well that's 'so and so' for you.

Feb 21, 2009, 08:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    It is in the general managers hands on how he wants to handle it now that you have reported her. Even if he does have a talk with her or even fire her and you go back you are going to have to face them and they may not like that you reported her. Some times some work places KNOW what is going on and it is like there is an elephant in the room and they sweep it under the rug, To them this is her 'normal' behavior and they have just learned to accept it as 'well thats 'so and so' for you.
    Thank you for the response. I think you hit the nail on the head, I'm just so disappointed, I have looked for a good job for months, and this seemed like a good company, with great benefits (health, dental, vision etc.)...

Some battles aren't worth fighting. If I just quit, or don't go back, do you think I should write a letter to the corporate office (out of state). Based on the employee handbook they gave me, I just cannot believe they know what is happening at this location. Just want somebody to be held accountable... maybe...
    Thanks
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2009, 08:34 AM

Hello 12:

To do stuff like writing letters, just to get even, or to cause this person trouble, ISN'T holding them accountable. It's retribution.

Suing them for violating your rights, IS holding them accountable.

If you're not going to do that, then don't do anything.

excon

Feb 21, 2009, 08:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello 12:

To do stuff like writing letters, just to get even, or to cause this person trouble, ISN'T holding them accountable. It's retribution.

Suing them for violating your rights, IS holding them accountable.

If you're not going to do that, then don't do anything.

excon
    I think this is excellent advise. I've never sued anyone in my life, and I've been around over 50 years... don't know what that would involve... not sure I'm up for it... maybe.
    What would YOU do?

Thanks
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2009, 08:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 12bestill12 View Post
    What would YOU do??
    Hello again, 12:

Me?? I don't lay down for anybody.

Now, I'm not saying you'd win, or even if you did, what exactly you would win. You certainly wouldn't want the job back. But, you might walk away with a chunk of change. Or not...

If it were me, at least I could walk away knowing that I did my best to "hold them accountable".

I'd pay a visit to your EEOC. The worst that can happen is they tell you that you have no case... But, of course, you DO have a case. It's a matter of whether it can be proven. Given what you've told us about it, that shouldn't be difficult at all.

excon
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2009, 10:55 AM

Yeah I would start with the EEOC before corporate headquarters so you have all the ins and outs and do's and don'ts on how to proceed. Even if you don't ''win'' anything at least they may make their work place more tolerable by correcting her or firing her making it better for future employees.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 12:15 PM

Yes, get the EEOC involved, but also you have to make sure HR is notified that there is a problem ( I know they know but you have to make a formal complaint with them, to prove they were notified and refused to do anything.

As for a business, are you not a sales person ? Do you work inside or do you work outside

Feb 21, 2009, 01:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Yes, get the EEOC involved, but also you have to make sure HR is notified that there is a problem ( I know they know but you have to make a formal complaint with them, to prove they were notified and refused to do anything.

As for a business, are you not a sales person ? do you work inside or do you work outside
    Yes, I was hired to be a sales person. The only other sales person is this woman, and there have been 4 people in my position within the last 2 yrs.

The work involves inside and outside time. The set up was 2 desks in an enclosed office, about 3 feet apart... me and her... she talks SO LOUD even when she's not cussing or screaming racial slurs, that I don't know how anyone ever worked beside her, and was able to conduct business (talk on phone etc.) or even concentrate. It literally scared me when she would SLAM the phone down, I jumped a few times, and I truly don't know why the phone didn't break into a million pieces.

Once a co-worker (outside our office) heard her scream an obscenity, and when she saw me later, she said, "are you o.k.?" I said, no not really, and she said the GM had ask her about the job (before hiring me) and she said "I didn't tell him, but there is NO WAY I could work with "her". I ask why she didn't tell him that, and she said, "because she brings in all the money."

Great! I thought. Just great. It went downhill pretty fast...

Feb 21, 2009, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Yeah I would start with the EEOC before corporate headquarters so you have all the ins and outs and do's and don'ts on how to proceed. Even if you don't ''win'' anything at least they may make their work place more tolerable by correcting her or firing her making it better for future employees.
    I agree. I'm not looking for anything, just trying to stand up for what is right, and maybe help out the people that have no choice but to work there and put up with her.

Is there a local EEOC office? I've never filed a complaint, or sued... nothing... so I have no idea how to go about this. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 21, 2009, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, 12:

Me??? I don't lay down for anybody.

Now, I'm not saying you'd win, or even if you did, what exactly you would win. You certainly wouldn't want the job back. But, you might walk away with a chunk of change. Or not....

If it were me, at least I could walk away knowing that I did my best to "hold them accountable".

I'd pay a visit to your EEOC. The worst that can happen is they tell you that you have no case..... But, of course, you DO have a case. It's a matter of whether or not it can be proven. Given what you've told us about it, that shouldn't be difficult at all.

excon
    Hello ex, thanks for this response. It gives me strength. I'm sick and tired of "laying down" when I should be standing up for what I know is right.

Can I just go see an attorney on Monday? Instead of EEOC?
    As I stated before, I have no idea how to go about this... but I'm going to!
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2009, 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 12bestill12 View Post
    Can I just go see an attorney on Monday? instead of EEOC??
    Hello again, 12:

Sure, a lawyer will work.

excon

Feb 24, 2009, 08:56 AM

Update- I went to see an attorney. Basically a waste of money - insult to injury...
    Was told to file a complaint with EEOC and the corporate headquarters, if I want to, but unless this woman is fired, or transferred, my life would be miserable to go back.
    Also told that the vulgar language is not illegal, some work environments are much worse, it just depends on what people can tolerate and usually new hires are screened in some attempt to see if they will "go along" with the protocol.

The racial slurs were viewed as the only real problem, BUT since there are no employees of those races, who was I protecting?

Like I said, total waste of money... maybe wrong attorney, but they specialize in Employment/Labor Law, so there you go...

Oh yeah, the GM called me back, to "follow up" and said he had never had a complaint against this woman (surprise, surprise) and he defended her... "some people don't fit in"... yep, that's me.
    what 2 do Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

Aug 10, 2009, 11:59 AM

Turn a deaf ear. Or simply ask her not to use that type of language you are finding it offensive and unprofessional, what do you have to lose? Getting fired... oh well... then you can collect u.e quitting get's you nothing...

I had a similar situation at work where some choice words were exchanged, we all promised not to do it again, since getting fired did not appeal to any of us.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Harassing neighbor,vulgar verbal abuse [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I have lived next door to a man for 8 yrs . We have been verbally abused, harassed. The last straw was when he called me a ing . Do I have any recourse in court?:mad::mad::confused:

It's unbelievable.. . [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all I'm new here I was told about this site by a brasilian friend. Can someone tell some links or stuff where I can get some info on how to go abroad in the USA ? It makes so much time I d like to have a chance to work and live there that I think it will only be one more dream that didn't t...

Unbelievable Images [ 8 Answers ]

'Panic stations': ship aground - National - smh.com.au This is where I am from in Australia. The weather here today is freakish. This 225m ship has run aground on one of beautiful beaches. It lost its morning a few KM's offshore and came hurtling towards the beach. Follow the link to view...

Unbelievable jealousy! [ 9 Answers ]

I have one more problem with my current relationship. You probably all think my relationship is doomed with problems, but I fail to mension all the great things about it! I am so jealous. Jealous of girls on the street he looks at, jealous of girls in magazines he looks at, jealous of his ex's....

View more questions Search