Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tosangee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2008, 04:17 PM
    Filling IT return jointly when wife family not here
    I am on H1B came to US in Feb 2008, wife joined me in Mar 2008. My daughter born on July, now my wife and kid are planning to leave to India in Dec 4th. My wife has her SSN.(she got that when she came to US in 2005)
    Will I get the IT return benefits of filiing jointly also the stimulus payments?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Nov 27, 2008, 03:28 AM

You can file joint return as residents. If your daughter was born in the U.S. you will get her SSN and can claim her as dependent. You will also get child tax credit of $1000 and stimulus rebate (if your income does not exceed a limit).
    You must report your worldwide income for 2008.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US tax return filing Jointly with wife, canadian citizen [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1 B visa in US. I got married in July 2007. My wife is on H4 in US with me since Aug 2007. Before that she worked in Canada up to April so she is going to file her tax return in Canada. In this case, can I file my US tax return jointly with her? Do I need to declare her income...

I filed 2007 Tax return married filing jointly and used ITIN for my wife now got SSN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: I filed my 2007 tax return(Married filing jointly) but I used ITIN for my wife, I heard to eligible for economic stimulas package both should have SSN, Now my wife received SSN , is there any possibility to amend my 2007 tax return with my wife SSN? Do you think that way I am eligible for...

Does a wife (H4) need ITIN for filling federal tax with her husband (H1) jointly? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I (H1, have SSN) came to US on June 2007 with my wife (H4). I am staying in Texas from June 2007 till today. My wife doesn't have a ITIN and she is a house wife (does not work). Now I need to file my federal tax for the year 2007. Do I need to have ITIN for my wife before I can file...

Having H1B visa and Wife H4 can we file Tax return Jointly [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am first time filing the Tax returns in US I am a software engineer and presently located in WA state. I am in US since late July 06 and my wife comes here in second week of Nov 06. My questions are 1. Can we file Tax returns Jointly if so which form I should fill (here I am talking about ...

Married Filling Jointly - H4 ? [ 1 Answers ]

One of my friend (Indian) in H1 came to US in Oct 2005 and his wife came to US in Feb 2006. He did not meet substantial presence test and he will file for extn. And then file 1040 after meeting the presence test. 1. Whether he can file for Married Filling Jointly even though his wife was not is...

View more questions Search