Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Isabel_27 Posts: 90, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2008, 04:29 PM
    My daughter dating an 18 year old
    My sixteen year old daughter is dating an eighteen year old man. She told me they were having protected sex! Is that OK? Is that even legal? He's an adult and she is just a miner! I mean I like this boy, he would never do anything to hurt my daughter so I don't want to get him in trouble so I want to make sure that they are not doing anything to break the law.
    Scared gota dui Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2008, 04:36 PM

It depends on what state you live in really, and if you do live somewhere that what the guy is committing is statutory rape the only person that can really do anything about it is your daughter. So if they are in love then let them continue to be so, and take it day by day. Advise your daughter to talk to you if she is considering breaking up with the guy, because that is when the majority of "rape" charges are pressed.

God Bless

Oct 26, 2008, 04:42 PM

We live in the south. She says that she loves him and want to be with him forever. I don't tell her she doesn't know love, cause my husband and I met in high school and got married.
    john555 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Oct 26, 2008, 04:54 PM
    Hi first off that's not really OK where she is a minor and he is a adult also that isn't even legal it actually is AGAINST the LAW hope that answers your question:)

Oct 26, 2008, 05:04 PM

So the 4 year age limit doesn't apply when the other is 18?
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2008, 05:05 PM

What state do you in?

Oct 26, 2008, 05:07 PM
    Tennessee
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 26, 2008, 05:09 PM

Well if your daughter is 16 and the boy is 18 there is a 2 year difference not a 4 year.. Next you have not told us where you are at, Each State has different laws, for example in GA age of consent is 16, so sex is legal at this point.

Now of course you ground her, stop her from dating, have to ask who the parent is?

You can also inform him ( as a adult) not to take your daughter anywhere, so depending on how your DA works, if he takes her out, you have some legal issues of custody interference, adult taking a minor.

There are also some strange laws, if they cross state line to have sex, there ( at least was ) laws on taking a minor acros state line for sex.

But to be honest 2 years is not much of a difference, a lot of seniors in high school are 18.
    Jay Dolce Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Oct 26, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Omg!

Well it all depends on were you live

Here in California the legal age for sex is 18

A two year difference is fine when dating
    But when it come to having sex
    16 is just too young!
    Its great to know that your doughter told you she's having sex
    But that's how they end up pregnant!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 26, 2008, 05:11 PM
    In the State of Tennessee the legal age of consent is 18. If your daughter is not 18 and the boy is, this can be considered statutory rape. It doesn't matter whether the parents consent, if found out, it all depends on the prosecutor.

Oct 26, 2008, 05:16 PM

They don't go anywhere really. He either comes over here or she goes over there. They love to spend time with each other. Those two are really in love and I think, if she asked, he wuld wait for her. I think in the state of TN, and 18 year old can date a 16 year old as long as sex is not involved. They are only really a year and a half apart.
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2008, 05:19 PM

They can date each other but they can't engaged in any sexual activity. If they do he can get in trouble.

Oct 26, 2008, 05:21 PM

Ok I will have a talk with the two of them and tell them how much trouble they can get in if the keeo having sex. Thank you all so much for your help
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Isabel_27 View Post
    My sixteen year old daughter is dating an eighteen year old man. She told me they were having protected sex! Is that ok? Is that even legal? He's an adult and she is just a miner! I mean I like this boy, he would never do anything to hurt my daughter so I dont want to get him in trouble so I want to make sure that they are not doing anything to break the law.
    Regardless of where they are hanging out they're still having sex. They're even doing it in your house or his.

How exactly do you feel about this because it seems like your okay with it but then it seems like you don't or your really unsure.
    Expert

Oct 26, 2008, 05:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Isabel_27 View Post
    Ok I will have a talk with the two of them and tell them how much trouble they can get in if the keeo having sex. Thank you all so much for your help
    I am in Tennessee myself, just north of Memphis. Had this happen to a local couple a year or so ago. The DA was going to prosecute, but they got married before the warrants went out.

Oct 26, 2008, 05:26 PM

I guess I am still in shock. I didn't think that my baby was having sex. I am OK with it cause she said that it was protected. They are both really good kids. I believe that he will stop when I tell him what could happen. He just turned 18 today so I wanted to see if it was OK
    Expert

Oct 26, 2008, 05:29 PM
    The guy I know could have had the label of sex offender on him for the rest of his life. He was 18 and she was 17 and got pregnant. Condoms aren't 100% effective you know. NO birth control is 100% effective.

Oct 26, 2008, 05:33 PM

I know it's not Miss. Is it OK for the two of them to just date? Not have sex?
    Expert

Oct 26, 2008, 05:36 PM
    It's perfectly fine to date and not have sex. However, they have already had sex. This is hard to stop once a teen has started.

Oct 26, 2008, 05:40 PM

I think these two can do it. I know you don't think so, cause you haven't met them. They are truly in love, he would never do anything that would but either of them in any form of danger. I will have a talk with them tomorrow and have them understand

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

14 year old dating [ 7 Answers ]

Hi my name is Amanda I am going out with a 17 year old and I am 14 is that Illegal I thought that the law was like no older then 3 years apart . Most girls my age and mabey even younger go out with guys older then that ! Also most guys these days have the mentality of a 10 year old so what is the...

Teenage daughter dating [ 16 Answers ]

My 16 year old daughter has been dating a 17 year old boy for several months. At first, my wife and I found him to be a very nice boy. It didn't take long, though for him to show himself to be a "hot head". I have heard him yelling at my daughter on the phone, I have seen texts from him, in...

My daughter has problems dating [ 18 Answers ]

I don't know what to do... My daughter is kind of overweight, but she is a good daughter, she studies hard in school. Last a week a boy called home wanting to speak to her... she wouldn't answer. She told me that she didn't believe nobody would love her. I think she is lack of confidence....

Daughter dating [ 42 Answers ]

My 14 year old daughter wants me to take a poll. She feel's like she should be allowed to hang out with a boy she likes. Go to his house watch a movie With his parents at home, or go to the movies, ball games, Mcdonalds etc... :eek: She has always been pretty responsible and has never gotten into...

I have a 2 year old daughter and her father has not seen her in over a year. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old daughter and her father left me when she was 5 months old and the last time he saw her was 2 weeks before Christmas 2006, he and I were never married. He knows where she is and how to get ahold of me and see her, but has failed in trying to contact me or see her. I do not have a...

View more questions Search