Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aliciag940 Posts: 62, Reputation: 4

Aug 22, 2008, 11:56 AM
    7 yr old on Strattera
    Hi all, I'm not sure which board this belongs on, but this one sounds right...

My 7 yr old son (who lives with his father) was just put on Strattera for ADHD. He had previously been on Concerta, but we both agreed that it made him too "zombie-like" and we took him off.

He was re-evaluated because his 2nd grade teacher said he doesn't do work in school, he just sits there and plays with his clothes or scribbles on paper, but he doesn't really participate in class.

I read a TON about this new drug, but that doesn't say much (other than it induces suicidal ideology which FREAKS me the heck out! ). He was also sent to a psychiatrist because the doctor detected early signs of depression. I've thought that was the case here lately, but since I'm not the one with him all the time, I told his dad what was going on and let him handle it...

My questions here are:

Does anyone know how this drug differs from Concerta?

If he does have early signs of depression, is this drug going to do more harm than good?

I hate the though of my son being on ANY medication (other than anti-biotics or other stuff), let alone something that might not help him...

Any thoughts?
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Aug 22, 2008, 12:49 PM
    His teacher says he doesn't participate in class and doodles/plays with his clothes and they throw him on medication for ADHD? Seriously? no.
    ADHD is the Hyper version of ADD. Fidgeting, easily distracted, not completing task, etc. it sound more like he is sad/depressed. I have ADD & am Learning Disabled (nice combo huh?) and struggled through school but this was way before they new much about it. I was never like that. Maybe he has a learning disablilty and is having trouble so instead, just tries to "hide" from learning. This is how I was. I avoided rasing my hand, hated doing reports in front of the class, etc. it was not from the ADD (that would just distract me so it took longer to accomplish projects), it was from the LD. I needed to be taught in a different way.

Is that his only symptom? Does he act the same at home, at school, all the time? ADHD is persistent at all times, not just at school. I truly believe this is over diagnosed. Did the therapist agree about the ADD/ADHD? If so, get a second opinion - and explore the possibility of LD.

And in my opinion.. get him OFF the meds until this is truly diagnosed correctly. 7 yrs old on meds.. that's insane! You need to explore all possibilities before jumping into an answer.
    aliciag940 Posts: 62, Reputation: 4

Aug 22, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Since I'm not with him everyday, I really can't say how he behaves at his fathers house... when he is with us though, he is very easily distracted! He fibs A LOT, gets in trouble a lot for the same things over and over again, doesn't listen all the time. I totally believe that he may be suffering from depression, but I don't think the ADHD suits him.

As the non custodial parent, what are my rights in regards to his treatment? Do I just have to sit back and watch his father put him on medication after medication? Since the health insurance is with my employer, can I call the insurance company and refuse that treatment?

I'm so lost!
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Aug 28, 2008, 07:16 AM
    I really don't know as far as rights. I would look into it though. And press his dad to get some more opinions. The easily distract "could" be a symptom of ADD, BUT, throw in the fact that he is 7... and its questionable... kids are kids, their little brains are constantly on the "move" lol.. again.. u need more opinions.

As far as the fibbing and getting in trouble.. could be a way to get attention, could be testing his limits, could be many things but I NOT ADD/ADHD. Lying is NOT a symptom. ;)

I would seriously get together with his father and really sit down and talk it out. Do as much research as you can on the internet... and show him. Try to get him to see that this could be misdiagnosed. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Provigil versus strattera [ 1 Answers ]

Does provigil work better than strattera in treating add? What are the differences b/w the two?

View more questions Search