Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janemarks Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2008, 08:25 AM
    Zapatec.js file
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    I have an IMac Panther system and run Safari. On some websites I am getting a message that I need the zapatec.js file. I don't know what this is or how to add it to my scripts file. Does anyone know how to use Apple, it is different than other PCs.
    Thank you for any information you can give me.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Aug 19, 2008, 04:11 PM
    That's a javascript that is part of the Zapatec Calendar widget. My guess is that you have javascript turned off in Safari. Go to Preferences>General>Security and see if the Enable JavaScript checkbox is checked. If not, that's the reason you're seeing the diagnostic. Javascripts can cause potential security problems so some people leave them turned off. Your Mac will prompt you for your admin password if something tries to install itself, however, so in my opinion leaving javascript running is not a huge concern on the Mac.

On the websites in question, not having the calendar widget means some calendar the designers placed on the site will not display properly.

Aug 19, 2008, 06:24 PM
    Thank you to Vingogly for the info. I'm new to this site so I hope I am posting this correctly. I did go the preferences>general>security on Safari and the enable JAVA script was checked. Enable JAVA, JAVA Script and Plug-ins were all checked as well as blocking pop-up windows. With these checked, I guess I'm still not sure why I am getting this message. When I use Internet Explorer I get the message but am still able to use the site. When I use Safari I can not use the site because I can't get rid of the message.

Thanks again, maybe you have some other information. I am completely in the dark on this.

Aug 20, 2008, 03:27 AM
    I looked around, and there appear to be occasional problems with sites that use the zapatec.js script in certain browsers. The problems appear to be related to the way site designers are using the script (which uses some pretty advanced techniques) on their sites. The solution? Use a different browser. There are a few sites I have to switch browsers for to view them correctly. For example, you will run into sites coded for Internet Explorer that smply won't run well in Firefox or Safari... or run at all.

My recommendation is, install Firefox and use it when Safari won't work for you. If you're using Internet Explorer on the Mac, it's version 5.5 or earlier... dump it (unless you're using it under Windows using Parallels or some other virtualization program). Microsoft stopped supporting and developing IE on the Mac several years ago, and there's absolutely no reason to be using it when you have great alternatives like Firefox, Safari, and Opera. You will find many sites that simply will not render correctly on your version of Internet Explorer.

Firefox is my browser of choice on Windows as well as Mac machines. I prefer it to Safari for several reasons (mostly certain plugins). Safari is a fine choice, too as is Opera. I have the latest version of all three installed on my MacBook, and switch from Firefox for those few sites that cause me problems.

Aug 20, 2008, 08:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vingogly
    I looked around, and there appear to be occasional problems with sites that use the zapatec.js script in certain browsers. The problems appear to be related to the way site designers are using the script (which uses some pretty advanced techniques) on their sites. The solution? Use a different browser. There are a few sites I have to switch browsers for to view them correctly. For example, you will run into sites coded for Internet Explorer that smply won't run well in Firefox or Safari ... or run at all.

My recommendation is, install Firefox and use it when Safari won't work for you. If you're using Internet Explorer on the Mac, it's version 5.5 or earlier ... dump it (unless you're using it under Windows using Parallels or some other virtualization program). Microsoft stopped supporting and developing IE on the Mac several years ago, and there's absolutely no reason to be using it when you have great alternatives like Firefox, Safari, and Opera. You will find many sites that simply will not render correctly on your version of Internet Explorer.

Firefox is my browser of choice on Windows as well as Mac machines. I prefer it to Safari for several reasons (mostly certain plugins). Safari is a fine choice, too as is Opera. I have the latest version of all three installed on my MacBook, and switch from Firefox for those few sites that cause me problems.
    Thank you so much. Now I know it isn't something I did. I just don't understand all the scripts and technical stuff. I'm still learning, but believe it or not I've come a long way!

Thanks again for your help and time!

Aug 20, 2008, 11:45 AM
    You're welcome! Don't feel bad... things change so quickly on the internet that even professional web designers have a hard time keeping up!
    katespades Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2012, 06:18 PM
    I am receiving the same message on Firefox, so can't use Priceline.com.

Can anyone help please?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H4 Visa: 2007 Tax Filing Status - To file or Not to File [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H4 from 2006. Filed tax for 2006 using ITN with my spouse(H1) as Joint Return. My spouse wants to do Married filing Separately FOR 2007. My question is for 2007, 1) Do I need to file a separate return in spite of lack of income(H4) ? 2) Or do I just leave it as such and not file at...

File W-7 form without tax return and why to file as a resident alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I came to USA in August 2004 on F1 Visa. I graduated and change status to H1b visa from October 2007. Now, I got married and my hasband came to USA on January 2008 on H4 visa. I have my brothers whom I can claim as they have green card and not earning anything. I will have to wait till May 2008...

Can a Video file be converted to a understandable text file [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Can you please let me know if a video file be converted to some readable text file. For example, if we read the text file, we should understand what the video shows and vice versa. Is there any such conversion possible. Please help me in this issue as early as possible.

File as married & self-employed: live in NY and do biz in Florida. Where do I file? [ 1 Answers ]

I moved to NY in the beginning of 2007. I am a freelance designer and I do business with clients in New York and Florida. I receive 1099s from my clients, both in New York and Florida, but i am not sure were do I have to file. Could you please clarify this for me? Thank you.

If I file 1040NR, do I file state as nonresident? [ 1 Answers ]

The title says it all-I worked in several states but I am foreigner. Does that mean that I file state taxes as non-resident as well?

View more questions Search